Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, i grew tired of that stupid EFI system Ford put on my 85 Bronco. Too many burned out starter solenoids, and everything else. So I look on summitracing.com and find they have a kit that is going to easily get rid of my problems and possibly give more power. For $799, I get a 670 cfm carb, intake manifold, air cleaner filter and housing, valve cover gaskets,camshaft, lifters, intake manifold gaskets, fuel line, and carb studs. To have everything all matched and for what appears to be agood price, I think thats great for all of us Newbies. I don't know how many of you who have done this, but I'll write again with the results after the install. I've already purchased the parts, so the work should be done in a week or two. :goodfinge

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
is all that tailored for a truck or car? what are the specs on the cam. what type of intake?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Umm...have you tried tracking down other problems other than just throw cash at a carb system?

Just seems awfully rash.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
50Gunner said:
Umm...have you tried tracking down other problems other than just throw cash at a carb system?

Just seems awfully rash.

also if you cant figure out an EFI system what make you think you are going to figure out a carb ?? Been there wasnt fun. but to each his own.:popc1:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
And you will lose some gas effiency while at it. I dunno, but it seems like a downgrade to me, but I have only owned one carbed vehicle anyways, and it was a gas guzzler.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
johnsonjrml said:
Recently, i grew tired of that stupid EFI system Ford put on my 85 Bronco. Too many burned out starter solenoids
What does this have to do with EFI?

And why is your EFI stupid when mine is not?

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
johnsonjrml said:
Recently, i grew tired of that stupid EFI system Ford put on my 85 Bronco. Too many burned out starter solenoids, and everything else. So I look on summitracing.com and find they have a kit that is going to easily get rid of my problems and possibly give more power. For $799, I get a 670 cfm carb, intake manifold, air cleaner filter and housing, valve cover gaskets,camshaft, lifters, intake manifold gaskets, fuel line, and carb studs. To have everything all matched and for what appears to be agood price, I think thats great for all of us Newbies. I don't know how many of you who have done this, but I'll write again with the results after the install. I've already purchased the parts, so the work should be done in a week or two. :goodfinge
For some reason I dont think efi came on the 85 models...at least I know its not on mine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
answers

If you go to summits web site and look for part# sum chly 310, you can see all of the specs. Believe me, I don't mean to offend your Bronco. But when I purchassed my Bronco, the EFI was in really bad shape. Rodents chewing on parts, shorted wires, the mechanic telling me there seems to be problems with the computer- oh boy. As far as the tuning of the carb, I have a really good, cheap mechanic that is a wiz with those things. Plus I plan on learning more about them from a good friend of mine. Lastly, I'm not to worried about gas mileage. I mean, I plan on going to a differnet gear size and bigger tires anyway. Besides, if gas mileage was so important to me, I would have gotten myself a Honda Civic.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
you should reconsider your planned downgrade to your truck. efi is better in many ways. just fix your efi once and for all and it will stop giving you probs. i am really baffled why efi is responsible for your starter solenoids.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
johnsonjrml said:
when I purchassed my Bronco, the EFI was in really bad shape. Rodents chewing on parts, shorted wires,
That makes a little more sens but I would just fix the EFI and it's EFI harness. I had to replace my entire harness due to damage. At that time no one even made a direct replacement so I modified a Mustang harness to fit.

johnsonjrml said:
the mechanic telling me there seems to be problems with the computer- oh boy.
I have had many many mechanics tell me somthing couldn't be done. 99% of the time they are wrong.

Thats why I dont deal with mechanics any more.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Hell you could get a new comp and wiring harness for that much money and save money on the mechanic to tune the carb.

·
Registered
56 Posts
her redwagon i was lookin in a edlebrock catalog and they sell EFI kits to convert it to EFI so your in luck if your willin to throw that cash out which all us bronco owners have

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I helped a friend swap his 90 5.0 5-speed to carb from EFI. Bought a kit very similar to the one your looking at in Summit. He gained 28 horses and 12 lb. of torque when we dyno'ed at the tech school he was at. He lost about 2 mpg though.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Nobody has brought up a potential deal killer here: What are the emissions laws in your state? If you have anything like most of the rest of the country, a carb swap is illegal and will immediately eliminate it's daily driver status.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts