Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 5.0 E4OD metallic root beer work in progress
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a set of the “pocket style” fender flares, and have realized, that after dry fitting and seeing many Chevys and Dodges in the sun after a few years, they tend to pull away from the body after being in the heat.
Now, my girl is no show truck, but I don’t want her to rust out quicker due to a bad decision.
Instead of using the faux bolts, I think I’m going to pull the trigger and drill through the fenders and quarters and use self tapping hex heads.
My question is, (besides pre drilling, OSFO, or POR-15,) are there any suggestions to stave off the rust for as long as I can? I really didn’t want to drill into them, but I don’t want cut outs, either. Just wondering if any of the elders have some much needed advice.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And to add, they will be installed at the time of my suspension replacement/lift install. She will be on a lift and tires removed. I can also pull the interior panels to gain access for any spray treatments.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
1,838 Posts
I put a set of these on my brother in law's 04 super duty, and they required a LOT of fitting to make them fit "right". I had my angle grinder with a sandpaper wheel and i would put them on, give them an eyeball, and shave where it needed, eventually we got all 4 fitting like a glove, there was no binding, no twisting. The only holes we had to drill were under the lip of the wheel well and they have been on there for probably 5 years now and still look great. No adhesive used anywhere, just that rubber gasket that goes around the lip where they rub against the fender.

What I'm saying is if you take the time and fit them properly where they sit perfectly flat all the way around and snug against the body, you shouldnt have to drill out any holes. If they do eventually pull away, THEN you could drill out the fenders if you so chose...thats my .02

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
If you do end up drilling holes, i highly recommend using a rubber well nut to fasten the flares to the fender. I don't know what kind of off roading you plan on doing, i know my BIL does NO kind of off roading in his truck, so maybe that's why they still look great and havent fallen off yet...

These work by drilling a big enough hole for the rubber insert to slip in, then when you tighten the screw the rubber swells, thus sealing off the hole and providing a nice snug, secure mounting point that won't rust out.

Product Font Auto part Engineering Cylinder

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do end up drilling holes, i highly recommend using a rubber well nut to fasten the flares to the fender. I don't know what kind of off roading you plan on doing, i know my BIL does NO kind of off roading in his truck, so maybe that's why they still look great and havent fallen off yet...

These work by drilling a big enough hole for the rubber insert to slip in, then when you tighten the screw the rubber swells, thus sealing off the hole and providing a nice snug, secure mounting point that won't rust out.

View attachment 196314
Awesome advice. Thank you Rob

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,830 Posts
Are they the style with "exposed fasteners" or completely smooth? My cutout bushwackers are installed with rivets through the fender. They were put on between 2002 and 2004. Paint still looks great and they are not warped. Though they are breaking in a few spots.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are they the style with "exposed fasteners" or completely smooth? My cutout bushwackers are installed with rivets through the fender. They were put on between 2002 and 2004. Paint still looks great and they are not warped. Though they are breaking in a few spots.
They are the exposed faux torx bolts. They are only held in with self tapping screws from inside the wheel lip, where the factory chrome would mount
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think I’m going to need a warm sunny day to let them warm up a bit, then fit them like Rob was saying. I can always remove and drill later if they start to warp and pull away from the body

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Think I’m going to need a warm sunny day to let them warm up a bit, then fit them like Rob was saying. I can always remove and drill later if they start to warp and pull away from the body
Ive learned that these parts are rarely "bolt on and go"...although i see people do it quite often, and you can look and see that they have big gaps, waves, etc in them. When I don't trust my eyeballs when im fitting things like this, i use blue painters tape or a piece of chalk or an awl to make me a line (on the underside). You just have to be very patient, and very careful, make small adjustments and refit. Understand that the little bit of adjustment you make on this end, is going to effect the fit on the other end. Get it parked in a nice comfy spot, get you a seat or a bucket to sit on, get your cold drink, dremel tool, and take your time on all 4 corners, it'll turn out great.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,830 Posts
They are the exposed faux torx bolts. They are only held in with self tapping screws from inside the wheel lip, where the factory chrome would mount
View attachment 196319
Ah yeah mine have the rivets in each pocket (15 or so per flare) and on the under side. Then it has some little button style covers over em.

That truck is gorgeous!

·
Registered
95 f-150 4x4 5.8 e4od 05 F250 axles w/4:10's lifted/modded owned since 97 w/28K
365 Posts
does it have the rubber gasket that goes between them? ive installed custom fender flares that were fenders cut out from vehicles and heavy duty plastic skid plates from side by sides on several auto cross vehicles.
a good heat gun and an extra set of hands is nice. one was metal and the other was HD plastic

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does it have the rubber gasket that goes between them? ive installed custom fender flares that were fenders cut out from vehicles and heavy duty plastic skid plates from side by sides on several auto cross vehicles.
a good heat gun and an extra set of hands is nice. one was metal and the other was HD plastic
Yes, they have the rubber gasket. I was gonna let them sit in the sun this Saturday before attempting to fit them. It’s gonna be 96 here and no clouds 😎
I do have a heat gun if needed, but they’re textured. Probably use a hair dryer on high first and see my results. Don’t want to risk marring the ABS. If all goes well, I’ll post some pics. Figure if I can knock them out now, it’s one less thing to do when we replace the suspension next month

·
Registered
95 f-150 4x4 5.8 e4od 05 F250 axles w/4:10's lifted/modded owned since 97 w/28K
365 Posts
what suspension are you going with?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what suspension are you going with?
I’ve been piecing together a lift for the last couple years. Piece here, piece there when I had some spare bux and when parts were available. Ended up with 5.5” Deaver front coils that I had powder coated Ford blue, BDS 4” rear springs, BDS NX2 shocks and steering stabilizer, Super lift steering conversion system and drop pitman arm, Rough Country drop brackets for the rear sway bar, super lift extended radius arms, and Moog blue bushings. Also have all new shock towers and radius arm brackets from LMC, as well as everything else that bolts onto the frame, down to the nuts, bolts and washers. The wife says I have a problem 😂
I told her my only problem is I ran out of room in the storage unit and it’s going to be a long weekend putting it all on

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Car

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

So, I got the flares installed today. Forgot just how old I am after that 93 degree heat for 4 hours. Ran into a few snags with drilling out the factory screws holding the chrome on the RF wheel well, and apparently the PO really liked bondo. Both rear wells and the lower pass door have about an 1/8”. Ended up removing the factory body molding, as I didn’t want to modify the flares just yet. I’ll post a few pics tomorrow once I grab some Goo-Gone. Thinking of possibly taping off the area from the old molding down, and doing the Sepia Brown Raptor liner. Anyways, here’s the initial results. I’ll go over her with a fine tooth comb tomorrow after a night in the AC 😎

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
View attachment 196479
View attachment 196481
View attachment 196480
So, I got the flares installed today. Forgot just how old I am after that 93 degree heat for 4 hours. Ran into a few snags with drilling out the factory s Reed holding the chrome on the RF wheel well, and apparently the PO really liked bondo. Both rear wells and the lower pass door have about an 1/8”. Ended up removing the factory body molding, as I didn’t want to modify the flares just yet. I’ll post a few pics tomorrow once I grab some Goo-Gone. Thinking of possibly taping off the area from the old molding down, and doing the Sepia Brown Raptor liner. Anyways, here’s the i urinal results I’ll go over her with a fine tooth comb tomorrow after a night in the AC 😎
And as an added bonus, UPS showed up today and dropped off my new rims. Totally unexpected. I was told June 1, and the order still shows “pending”
Font Gas Audio equipment Office equipment Machine

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Car

Did the lower rockers with the dark Sepia Brown from Raptor Liner. I like the texture of the product, plus 1 can did both sides. Don’t think I like the contrast though. I’m gonna give it a week and get some input, but I think next weekend, after it cures, I may tape it off and paint it with the factory color top coat I got online from Automotive Touch Up. Also going to add some locking star washers to the flare screws to hold them a little better. Love to hear any input, though
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Had a nice day today. Forgot I took the day off for the Reverend Horton Heat show tonight, so decided to remove the flares and top coat the Raptor Lining with the factory dark mocha. It will work for now.😎

1 - 20 of 20 Posts