Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 89 BKO with the 351, I have been having problems for couple of years of my steering being real stiff, particularly when going over 45mph, parking lot it seems to be fine. On a highway running 55-70 its a real job to keep in the road cause of it being real stiff. I have had several mechanics look at it and have had my steering gear box replaced but still hasn't resolved the problem! My pump isn't whining or anything, but im thinking that it could be weak and when its in the higher rpm range its not producing enough pressure. Has anybody else experienced this or could think of what it could be :banghead ???

PS...I am also running 33's on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read a couple of post on the saginaw pump and I see its considered an upgrade. Would this be fairly easy to do by a person with beginning mechanical skillz? And i see the most common way to find one is at the local junkyards particularly looking for a certain year of the E-class vans pumps?

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Since you have an 89, probably with the serpentine set up, you might want to try the 87-96 econoline vans with the 302-351 in it.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Very easy swap and will probably fix your problem. I got mine out of an 89 E-150 but as said late 80's to mid 90's will work. You need the pump and bracket, the 4 a/c compressor bolts and the high pressure hose if you can get it off in one piece. If not just go buy the 89 E-150 hp hose(your original will not work and cannot be made to work w/o some serious engineering). You may need a new serp belt, some guys on here said they did and some said their original works just really tight getting it on. I eliminated my smog pump at the same time I added the Sag pump and swapped to a 351 so I have no idea what each mod does individually to the serp belt requirement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok..will do! Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts