Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Class IV http://hitches4less.com/trailer-hitch-classes.html

When they say "Up to 1200lbs Tongue Weight". Does that mean 1200lbs of weight direct to the tongue like for example setting 1200lbs of brick on the tongue it self?

If thats the case wouldn't you want to do some kind of frame reinforcements for a fsb?

Thanks

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Class IV Hitches
Class IV hitches are for up to 10,000 lbs. GTW and 1,000 to 1,200 lbs. of tongue weight. This type of hitch is usually a weight-distributing hitch. We carry many fine class IV hitches that are designed specifically for your vehicle.
Key words there...

KC

·
Registered
117 Posts
Whatever you come up with doing, make sure you weld it on if you plan on hauling alot. Or even just once. My buddy was towing a car home out of state, stopped for a break, checked around and noticed the hitch was lower than when he started. Looked under and the bolts from the hitch had actually pulled through the frame. It would be wise to bolt it on and weld you a couple of plates on each side. Just some wisdom. And yes, they do make them to fit each application. I've got a Draw Tite. Works great. 5-6000 is about all you need. But do what you want.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Seems to me a class IV hitch is a waste of money on a half ton truck with a 7000 pound or less tow rating. :scratchhe
Nothing like overkill. :rockon Figure if it takes the same effort for a class III as a IV to put on, why not get a IV ya know? I am also plenty sure you can to 4.5-5+ tons with a bronco...not safe and/or legal, but some have towed much more. :rockon

KC

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Nothing like overkill. :rockon Figure if it takes the same effort for a class III as a IV to put on, why not get a IV ya know? I am also plenty sure you can to 4.5-5+ tons with a bronco...not safe and/or legal, but some have towed much more. :rockon

KC
Pulling 9500 to 10000 pounds with a Bronco? That should be entertaining.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts

KC
Only a total ****ing idiot would try to tow 10,000 pounds with a bronco. :doh0715:

The powertrain isn't there, the driveline wouldn't have fun, the suspension would hate you, and the wheelbase would just make it funny.

Yes people have done dumber shit... they end up with a darwin award.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Only a total ****ing idiot would try to tow 10,000 pounds with a bronco. :doh0715:

The powertrain isn't there, the driveline wouldn't have fun, the suspension would hate you, and the wheelbase would just make it funny.

Yes people have done dumber shit... they end up with a darwin award.

I've towed 30,000lbs+ of peanut wagons with mine. No, it wasn't the smartest thing, but we couldn't leave them beside the road.

Never got over 10-15mph. Stopping was still an adventure, however :whiteflag

·
Registered
11,108 Posts

I've towed 30,000lbs+ of peanut wagons with mine. No, it wasn't the smartest thing, but we couldn't leave them beside the road.

Never got over 10-15mph. Stopping was still an adventure, however :whiteflag
Meeehhh... that's not really 'towing' though, that's just pulling something. IMO, towing, is getting on a road with other people and trying to drive as part of the traffic flow.

Not getting over 10 mph or so means you weren't really a hazard, now if you'd gotten anywhere beyond that, that woulda been stupid.

4low works wonders for moving heavy stuff.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI guys I am just asking if that was on the tongue weight or not. I used the IV as an example. We have a III and thats plenty for what we do. Thanks for the info though. :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
"never exceed the tow vehicle's recommended towing capacity"

I have a class 5 but I'll never tow near its rating, I bought it more for a solid rear tow point. Installing next week:chili:

EDIT: oops, forgot OP, sorry for the off-topic. But yes, that is what tongue weight means.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts