Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deleted as this was a bad idea,
sorry for offering an opinion.

·
Registered
319 Posts
wouldnt a chain or strap just float off the top if pulling forward? looks like it would need more of an angle to get it to stay on?

·
Registered
319 Posts
yeah, i seen that, just looks like it would come off, but i guess if you used the bumper as almost like a pivot, then the strap would have more of a down angle than just straight out

How does it work? how many times have you used it?

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
:stupid

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I am not trying to offend or anything, but have you used them yet? That positioning just doesn't look very safe. I have the same set you do, black though, and I would not trust that keeper to kep the line/strap on if it was being tugged hard.

I have miune positioned like this. Little easier bc of the front bumper my girl bought me. However, it seems that most who have these type of hooks attched have some similar method. This is the first time I have seen them positioned like yours.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

Just curious how well they work. I need to attach some to my girl's 90 and I do not like drilling holes :D .

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
ill say that it is wrong. You are pulling those in a direction not intended and all that force is going into the bolts. that is the weakest way you can pull on those, and IMO those will shear, or at the least bend, and are a extreme safety hazard. if anyone at ford told you that hooks come that way from the factory, they are an idiot, and it is the reason I do not take my truck to have people work on it.

That keeper you talk of is in NO way intended to support any load, it will bend with your fingers. The fact that you think this is a good idea scares me.

For anyone reading this, Do not put your hooks on that way. you would side load the shit out of those hooks, and put them into parameters they are not designed for.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Please remount those things pointed the correct way before somebody gets hurt. Pulling one of those cheap ass hooks sidways is asking for trouble, they just aren't designed to be loaded in that direction. And don't believe everything you hear at stealerships.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
I agree. No one want's to see you hurt yourself or anyone else.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
I drive a tow truck for a living and i would tow from them. But hey you might be able to hang something from them

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
Dragon said:
Deleted as this was a bad idea,
sorry for offering an opinion.
thank you we didn't want to cause any injuries to to a bad setup idea:whiteflag

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
plug ugly said:
i think you mean you wouldnt tow from them.
If I had a tow truck I would tow from them just to see how much it really takes to bend it over or twist the hook.
.......just for the fun of it

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i had intended to try and share another option for mounting tow hooks,
that the main reason behind my posting.

i have this setup on my 1986 F250 4spd diesel 4x4 and used it for probably around 40-50 times
(not too sure as i never kept count so it may be more/less),
and i have yet to have any problems with it in the last 7 years i have had the hooks mounted on the truck.

i have pulled other trucks out of some deep mud, out of ditches, rivers, you name it, just about any type of wheeling situation,
even pulled the farm tractor with this setup.

YES, it works for me,
and with that said... if you don't like it, don't use it.

i just thought i would try to share something and it appears no one else likes it,
with it being considered a bad idea, i figured i should delete it so new people don't get confused by it.

i understand that not everyone see's things the same,
however, i haven't had a problem with this so i will continue to use it.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
hey i'm just giving my 2 cents

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Wish I would have checked this out earlier, I hate weak/poor towpoints. Almost ripped the whole front end off a jeep yesterday because of a dumb idea for towpoints, just because you have a big hook doesnt mean you have a good towpoint

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.