Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 fsb eddie bauer w/ 351 does anyone know what the max tow load is in lbs for this year? I need to tow a 3500lb trailor but my boss told me he didnt think the bronco could handle it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you still have the manual it should say.. My 96 can tow up to 7800 with a class 3 hitch. As long as your not using a bumper hitch it should have no problem, I was able to tow a 4500 lb trailer ffrom Ft Myers to West Palm without a problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
speaking of overdrive....I have a little button on the shift lever but when I push it the "overdrive" light dosent light up. Does that mean my OD is not working or something else?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
My roommate pulls a 21foot toyhauler with 2 quads a 3 wheeler and a bike in the back up over the hills to glamis 0n 8 without any problems. Class III hitch. The trailer wobbles a little in high winds due to the short wheelbase of the Bronco.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like they said above, you will have no problem towing that trailer so long as you have an actual hitch and are not using a bumper. And pushing that button turns the overdrive off. If you were cruising on the highway and were to push that it would feel like you shifted down. It's a great little tool when you need some extra power to get up a hill or you don't want to gain too much speed going down a hill. I use it all the time in the mountains. If your light does not work, my first instinct would be that the bulb is just burned out. Get up to highway speeds and push the button and see if it downshifts. If it does your bulb is just burned out. If it does not, than you have another problem.....

·
Registered
531 Posts
would this towing make a less amount WITHOUT overdrive?

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
The max I've towed with my Bronco is about 10,000 pounds or so. I would not recommend this unless you have a brake controller and the trailer has electric brakes. I would not tow more than 7,000 pounds without brake assistance since all years of the Broncos had inadequate at best brakes.
2 1/2 ton truck with mediocore brakes + 7,000+ pound load = accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My boat weighs approximately 2500lbs plus whatever a single axle trailer for a 16' weighs. I'm feeling the ZF more and more each day.

Burned up as it heated up and roasted trying to pull a load on the hwy?

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
351 said:
My boat weighs approximately 2500lbs plus whatever a single axle trailer for a 16' weighs. I'm feeling the ZF more and more each day.

Burned up as it heated up and roasted trying to pull a load on the hwy?
I cant really describe what I did but I have the reputation around my friends of the trans tester. I can granade a trans in the oddest way possible. If you think it may be bad I can make sure it is.

·
Registered
783 Posts
should the max load be the same for a 96 BKO? I need to pull an 8'x10' trailer with mulch on saturday and was wondering if i should be concerned at all with the weight of the load? (bags are 40 lbs, but only if it doesnt rain before the haul.)
my truck is pretty much stock, and has a factory hitch, i am assuming class III?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Se7eN said:
should the max load be the same for a 96 BKO? I need to pull an 8'x10' trailer with mulch on saturday and was wondering if i should be concerned at all with the weight of the load? (bags are 40 lbs, but only if it doesnt rain before the haul.)
my truck is pretty much stock, and has a factory hitch, i am assuming class III?
Yes it is a Class III hitch stock. You are going to have no problem pulling the 8'x10' either. I've pulled a hydraulic trailer with electronic brakes with a dingo and a stump grinder on it with my 95 and it didn't even breathe hard. It probably weighed about 3500 pounds total, and I can't imagine your mulch is going to weigh any more than that. You are going to be pleasantly surprised at how much these Broncos can handle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts