Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a Robalo 2320 that I am going to take down to college with me and will be towing it with my bronco down there. Dry weight is about 4700 and the trailer is steel. I will be putting 4 wheel disc brakes on the boat and I have a 10.25 so the massive drums and I am going to do the 8 lug swap and use the JB7 calipers. I also have 3.73 gears. When I tow I will have OD off. Should it be fine going 55-60 on the interstate. Engine is beefed up with heads, cam, intake, headers some others. Transmission is rebuilt to hold the power. I have a big transmission cooler and a 4 core radiator. I am pretty much wondering if my bronco will do ok towing it. I know it won’t be great but it’s what I got. I’m not worried about tongue weight as I put my dads boat on my truck and it weighs 5600 lbs.

as you can see the rake is perfect I would say. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,833 Posts
Should be fine at the speeds you stated. Not optimal, but still safe

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I don’t plan on breaking any speed records. I am going to college in the middle of Georgia and will be taking it to savanna on the Atlantic so luckily it’s flat down there.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,139 Posts
It all depends on the Tongue weight, To much and it unloads the front end (loosing steering ability), overloads the rear-end (springs and tires) and is unsafe. To little and you incur sway where the trailer doesn't want to travel in a straight line it reciprocates to the left and then to the right and continues till bam. It has a lot to do with where the axles are in relationship to the Tongue, the further to the rear they are the more stable things are and so on. The Standards for Tongue weight varies from Manufacturer to Manufacturer and also in the design of the Trailer itself. Tongue weights can be from 5% - 7% -10% -15% all the way to 30% depending on the type of Trailer. You also want the Trailer to be level to the ground, not pointing up or down. So for your situation Level your Trailer on your Bronco by raising or lowering your Hitch Ball mounting position, then start with 10% of the Trailer, Boat and any other loads being added as the Tongue weight and Road test from there.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,139 Posts
Some more info would be your brakes must be functioning perfectly on your Bronco and the Trailer for a safe journey to wherever! Your Front brakes take most of the load so get them up to snuff! Well as you noted you have upgraded your cooling system but is it functioning correctly cause it gets hot in Georgia in and around Savannah, luckily there are no mountains to deal with. I didn't see that you had a Fan Shroud and or Electric Fans!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some more info would be your brakes must be functioning perfectly on your Bronco and the Trailer for a safe journey to wherever! Your Front brakes take most of the load so get them up to snuff! Well as you noted you have upgraded your cooling system but is it functioning correctly cause it gets hot in Georgia in and around Savannah, luckily there are no mountains to deal with. I didn't see that you had a Fan Shroud and or Electric Fans!
I do have a fan shroud but just the stock clutch fan. It’s 75 and sunny right now and it’s running at 176 in idle with a 180 temp thermostat. I am going to do all new brakes soon on the front with the 8 lug swap and will be using the bigger Chevy stuff. Rear brakes I also just did all brand new. Trailer is getting whole new brake system as it has nothing. New surge tongue, new hoses, new rotors and calipers. Should be up to snuff. Especially taking it slow and careful.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
(y)(y) Enjoy your Journey!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I towed it last weekend on my dads trailer which had surge 4 wheel disk brakes same setup I’m gonna have on my trailer. It handled good, brakes good, got up to 55 mph and there was no trailer sway or anything of the sort. Though I can really feel it, like holy cow. I can’t imagine towing that sort of weight with a stock engine and gears. But I’m glad I figured out it handles well.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Good job , that's impressive cuz thats a big boat. I don't think I would attempt that.

My 18 footer fully loaded is right about 3600lbs and that gives my bronco all she can handle.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yeah she’s a big boy.Especially because Robalo’s are very heavy for the length.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Been pulling my 24' (with BB, 496 in it) for over 20 years now, no major issues. I am beefed up with D60 rear, rear disk, 8 lug front/brakes, and hydroboost,
but not sure why it's such a big deal. 79's at least were rated to tow 6000 with "recommended" weight distr hitch.
Of course really gnarly, mountainess, twisty, single lane backroads might be a different story, but doesn't sound like that it what you are on.

See 3rd column, Pg 83

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been pulling my 24' (with BB, 496 in it) for over 20 years now, no major issues. I am beefed up with D60 rear, rear disk, 8 lug front/brakes, and hydroboost,
but not sure why it's such a big deal. 79's at least were rated to tow 6000 with "recommended" weight distr hitch.
Of course really gnarly, mountainess, twisty, single lane backroads might be a different story, but doesn't sound like that it what you are on.

See 3rd column, Pg 83

Did you notice a difference with the front 8 lug swap with the bigger Chevy brakes. Also with the rear disc did you notice anything better with braking. I’ve got the 12x3 drums for the 10.25 and I would say they are perfectly adequate for me. Vs the price and trouble of going to disc.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Did you notice a difference with the front 8 lug swap with the bigger Chevy brakes. Also with the rear disc did you notice anything better with braking. I’ve got the 12x3 drums for the 10.25 and I would say they are perfectly adequate for me. Vs the price and trouble of going to disc.
The D60 went in with the disks already on them. My big mud truck bronco had that D60 with rear disks and eventually went 14 bolt when the big block went in.
So I have no reference about 3/4 ton drums vs disk. The front 3/4 ton disk was a decent upgrade, but what really put it over the top was the hydroboost. I had 79 2WD F350
booster/MC before hydroboost and it was decent, but not WOW!!! (I also went 86 mustang SV) MC with hydroboost, which is 1.25 vs 1.125 MC bore).
Just not enough boost with that 79 F350 booster. If you don't want hydroboost, go with 93 F350 booster, it's the closest you can get to hydroboost for "boost".

There is a reason Ford upgraded boosters across the line starting in 1980, even though brake sizes really didn't change that much. The 78/79 Braking systems
were inadequate for booster size, even the F350's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a 25' I tow around 6500lb , stock 96 xlt 5.8 , drum brakes on trailer , towed 80 miles once to lake and back no problems ,didn't go over 55 ,always gave myself safe distance for stopping ,possible not ideal, For close no highway lakes ,it's fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts