Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a bronco for hunting, crawling, etc. I am also considering getting a 23' trailer next year. The trailer is really about 25' and was a weight (dry) of 4990.

Will the 5.8/eaod pull it and will it be safe with the bronco?
Thanks.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Well from my experiance at the road commission we used half ton trucks (ford & dodge) to tow a 30ft car trailer with dovetail, and would use it to hall all the cross tube to go under the road. I wasn't impressed with the braking on either once loaded up. The dodge pulled like crap with its magnum v8 but the ford just with the 4.6 pulled great. Hell i have pulled a f250 4x4 &f150 2wd behind a 1/2ton van with a 302, we never exceeded 50 on the highway because the trailer would sway.

I would say that and braking is your biggest issues. Just give yourrself room. I would also add a tranny cooler to keep the tranny temps low. And if your 5.8 is in good health it should have too much of a prob as they used that in the 350's and look at how much more they can tow with it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't actually have a bronco yet. I have a toy that I use for crawling. I am going to sell the toy so I can get the bronco. I think I am going to try and find a 3rd gen bronco. I was thinking of putting a 4" with 35's. The bronco seems to be the perfect bronco, just a little concerned with the pulling and the 104" wheelbase.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realize the only difference was pretty much the front end.

What I really need to know is can I pull a 23' trailer. dry weight is 4900. I would much rather have a bronco than a truck. I don't think it would be that bad with sway control and good trailer brakes. What's yalls thoughts.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a 351 m and i don't have any problem towing i've pulled a 23' car hauller and a f150 on it didn't have any problem till i got over 65 then it would start swaying..Stopping was another issue make shure u get a good trl brake..:twotu:

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
I used my 1993 Fullsize Bronco Eddie Bauer to pull a 1992 fullsize Bronco from Connecticut to Ohio on a car hauler.

The only problem i had was the mountains of pennsylvania i dropped to about 50 cause i didn't want to gun the engine.

I tow my pop up all over the country. The only thing i would really consider doing is getting sway bars on the trailer and get electric brakes.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
I've towed a smaller backhoe with my 89 and it just has a 302 braking was only my only problem. I don't have any trailer brakes though

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
The things I can see pulling a 23' trailer is, who is in control? You definately should have electric brakes on it and keep in mind the trailer has the advantage from the stand point of leverage. Standard shift and a I6 would probably be best combination for towing. Heavy duty suspension, Bronco had a trailer towing package which beefed up the suspension so you may want to either add it or get one with it in place.

Good luck,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
steve83-didn't mean to overlook your post, just looking for more thoughts.

Thanks everyone, thats what I figured. This means I can get me a bronco!!!

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
thanks steve for the correction......i hate using laptops...............Also do a search on brake upgrades as you can get the larger ear wheel cyls' and also upgrade the pads and rotors to help to brakin some

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since you question was would the FBS be able to tow it, I think the obvious answer from everyones responses is, yes.

You also said that towing was a secondary concern, then an FSB should work especially if you spend the money and time to upgrade the suspension and ensure your trailer has a strong and functioning braking assembly.

But, in addition to an FSB I own a F250 crew cab. I have towed over 5000 lbs with both, including the same trailer on both and there is not comparison. My F250 pulls the trailer (last time I had it weighed it was 5650lbs with a tongue weight of 300 lbs) like it is not even back there. I have reached 78 mph with it and no sway (which is realize is as much due to proper trailer weighting as the pull vehicle). I usually pull at around 65-68 mph and the F250 has the wheelbase and mass distribution to control it and stop it much easier. So, if that is truly your concern, I would pick a vehicle built for towing. Even if you looked at Excursions you are getting a vehicle much more capable of towing.

But as I said, if you want an FSB for all the other wonderful traits - I have no doubt it will do the job. You just have to understand what is involved in towing such a large object behind a short wheelbase.

The one thing I am not sure of is how lifting your FSB 4" will effect your overall towing and stopping capabilty. I would assume a suspension lift versus a body lift would be the better way to go - but others would have more knowledge about this than I do.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,355 Posts
While braking improvements on the truck will HELP, your best investment is going to be a good set of trailer brakes(both axles) and a good controller. Also, make sure you keep the trailer brakes maintained. Trailer brakes will stop you long before the upgraded brakes on the truck will.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Trailer towing with a BKO, southtexas style: 5800 lb boat, 30' trailer length

1. Steve83 said it best about truck set-up
2. Add air-lift on rear axle of BKO for smooth ride with adjustment.
3. Can't say enough about trailer brakes, electronic controller.
4. Tranny cooler, tranny cooler, tranny cooler.....got it?
Engine cooling, engine cooling, engine cooling....got it?
5. Keep truck tuned and set up to breath, $ 2.35 per gallon.
6. Keep trailer level with lighter tongue weight, balance load.
7. Consider sway bar from truck to trailer depending on wind load, etc.

8. Avoid surge brakes at all costs. This is mandatory when pulling with
short wheel base trucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I pulled a 24' travel trailer with 89' 302 auto with towing package, all stock. Trailer weighted 5400 loaded. I think trailer sway will be biggest problem, especially with lift and bigger tires. Large trailer side is moved by semi's. Sway control a must. Trailer never swayed until passed by truck or Bus. I now pull with 99' F-250LD which is rock solid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts