Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a small utility trailer to tow my 2015 Polaris 570. I know short wheel base isn’t good for towing but what about something this light going 65. I have a built engine and transmission. It would be fairly long drives as well either 1 hour or 2 depending where I go.

·
Registered
435 Posts
As long as your pulling (I’m guessing) 3/4 or less weight then your bronco you should be good.... just be sure the trailer is level to the ground no mater how much drop you need. They tow like crap tilted.

·
Premium Member
34,870 Posts
I have a golf cart trailer I use to haul all kinds of stuff and living in a rural area, it's all highway miles. It'll be fine.

And much more than pictured. Having a small but solid trailer like this is one of the things that makes owning a Bronco as good as or better than using a pickup. I also love the tilt action the golf cart trailer has. Makes everything so easy.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
You will be fine, just make sure you load the trailer with enough tongue weight so it doesn’t sway. The stopping and swaying is where the short wheelbase sucks. I wouldn’t be to afraid to pull a 7k car trailer with a fullsize Bronco. But stopping it coming down a windy mountain road is a different story

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts
My set up:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I'll be fine I just need to make sure the trailer is level weather getting an adjustment hitch to go up or down.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts
Ok so I'll be fine I just need to make sure the trailer is level weather getting an adjustment hitch to go up or down.
Not just level.

As Nickoille stated; proper load/weight distribution is important, via proper tongue weight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I towed a '85 Lincoln Town Car on a flat bed trailer with round pipe sides (estimated weight 4XXX +) and did good except the higher speeds above 55 mph - 60 mph (it did start swaying).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not just level.

As Nickoille stated; proper load/weight distribution is important, via proper tongue weight.
This is 100% true I believe 60/40 minimum I prefer 70/30 that’s front weight/back weight.
CDA 455..... you packing some weight in that truck or is that trailer really that heavy, that rig is squatting... looks like mine loaded for dear and elk (portable winch, 2000ft steel beaded cable, 2 chainsaws with gear, 2 40 ft logging chains, enough survival gear for 3-4 guys to live off for a week) until I put 1 ton leafs on it (y) Way better loaded.... of course it rides like a dump truck when it’s empty.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts
This is 100% true I believe 60/40 minimum I prefer 70/30 that’s front weight/back weight.
CDA 455..... you packing some weight in that truck or is that trailer really that heavy, that rig is squatting... looks like mine loaded for dear and elk (portable winch, 2000ft steel beaded cable, 2 chainsaws with gear, 2 40 ft logging chains, enough survival gear for 3-4 guys to live off for a week) until I put 1 ton leafs on it (y) Way better loaded.... of course it rides like a dump truck when it’s empty.
Good eye!

However; the ass is lower because I haven't installed the 4" lift Pro-Comp springs yet. :rolleyes:

My son and I installed the front lift suspension (yielding approx 3" lift) a month ago.

Just haven't got to the rear yet.

This is an '87 Sterling 10.25 dually going in the rear:

With HMMWV rim/tire mounted:

·
Premium Member
34,870 Posts
However; the ass is lower because I haven't installed the 4" lift Pro-Comp springs yet. :rolleyes:
I know a guy with some sky shackle flip bracket in the For Sale section. ;)

Here's what you really need to see if you're wondering about a Bronco being able to tow...

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
I think you have your asnwer for the bronco part. I agree on making sure the tonque wieght is right and that your drop hitch is correct.
I would also try to get a trailer with taller tires, the snowmobile trailer type ones do not pull as good behind Bronco's from my experience. Try to get one like BikerPepe has.

·
Premium Member
34,870 Posts
That's an excellent point. A lot of the snowmobile trailers I've seen use those tiny, fat tires that I wouldn't even consider running down the highway. The smaller the tire, the faster the revolutions, the quicker the bearings go out or at least, need greased. The same holds true for the slightly larger but still considerably small tires on my tilt-trailer. I recommend "bearing buddy" caps with the built in zerk for easy re-greasing on the go. I use that setup on the trailer I haul behind my bike and it works fantastic.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I towed my 570 out to Moab for the safari back in May. 6x10 trailer towed with no issues. Would have liked some brakes on the trailer driving across the Rockies though. Here we are crossing Nebraska.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Trailer brakes make a world of difference. Thats my next upgrade on my FSB, along with a 7 pin RV type connector (already have both a 4 pin flat and a standard 6 pin connector on the FSB, although I personally only use 4 pin for the boat, and 7 pin for my atv trailer).

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
I will also recommend that with the short wheel base trailer brakes help a bunch when pulling anything with a Bronco. I have a small light weight 16x7 Aluminum ATV trailer with tandom axles and breaks. While the brakes only help slow it down so much with the 12x5, i think dont remember for sure, tires the real noticable thing is how they help keep it behind the Bronco where it is suppose to be. I have pulled smaller, but heavier (steel), non braked trailers and at times they can track different then expected, especially in sudden stop situations.
Making sure its loaded right will go a long way on the above too though.
For brake controller you'll want a proportional style one, such as a Prodigy p2 or p3. I have 4 of them between the trucks/bronco and will not get anything else.

BikerPepe hit all the reasons why I would get one with as tall and normal of a tire as possible given the trailer sizes your looking at.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts
How about towing with a Bronco that has 1ton axles?
Meaning: 1tons = much bigger brakes

In my case; I'm putting an '87 F-350 dually axle in the rear and an '06 F-550 Super Dana 60 in the front (14.5" rotors!).

My HMMWV trailer is rated at 4,200lb GWR.

Said HMMWV trailer only has emergency separation brakes.

With my axles I should be able to tow 4.4 times that weight.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts