Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bossmans been having me do a bit of towing here recently. Repo'ing random vehicles that havent paid their notes off, moving heavy equipment, so on and so on. It got me thinkin... exactly what is the "official" towing capacity of the Bronco? I realize its basically a 1/2 ton F150, just shorter (and a helluva lot prettier), but what is the official rating from Ford?

On the side, for those of you that tow things on a regular basis, whats the heaviest weight you've towed at highway speed successfully? For me, its been 10,230 for 53 miles @ 45-50mph. Stopping wasnt fun, nor was getting started, but my perky 302 seemed to have no serious issues keeping it moving. Combination GVW was 14,940 according to the scales at the local truck stop.

Basically, the bossman wants me to relocate one of his larger pieces of equipment to a site about 40 miles away. Now, assuming a perfectly balanced trailer (with no serious weight on the hook, all centered on the axles), and the Bronco being in top mechanical condition, would there be any real issues with moving this item on its bigass trailer with a gross weight of near 14k? I believe its 14,560 to be exact. 14560 and the just under 5k that my Bronco weighs would put me awfully close to 20k#. I'm not liking that number at all.

I know there are some of you other guys that have done similar..pretty much I just dont want to twist the tranny right out of the truck. I already know I'm on the short path to needing a new tranny, new engine, and brakes but thats beside the point.. so what say you all?

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Just talk your boss into getting you an F-350 as a co. vehicle!!!:thumbup

P.S. I would look in my owners manual for those figures you need but niether Bronco is with me right now...:shrug

·
Registered
43 Posts
Depending on set up the Max I do beleave was 7000 lbs, ie 351 c6 or the upgraded EoD4, 302 with the auto was 4500, 5spd was 3000... this is playing by memory though... I do have the original Brochure at home with that info I'll check it out later and update this to the currect #'s

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
i think i remember my owners manual saying that mine is rated for a 8K pound trailer. But as far as towing... i've pulled about 8 tons of peanuts before, but i could only go about 30mph before the trailers started swaying too bad...

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
14k sounds excessive. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

The most I've towed is about 6k, that was today. I had no problems cruising down the freeway at 60-65mph, could've easily gone faster, but decided against it. The entire trip was 35 miles, with 8-10 miles of it up a 5-6% grade.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What class receiver are you guys using? I've got a class III on my '88, but I thought I read somewhere that they are only good for 5K combined (trailer & load) weight.
Anyone know the rated loads of the different classes? I tow a trailer/race car combo('69 Vette), that blows right by the 5k limit right off the bat. But it does tow nicely fully loaded.

Greg

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Receiver? Actually, right now I'm using my heavy welded steel reinforced bumper to tow whatever. Here pretty soon though, I'm looking at getting a Class IV professionally installed. I know most others here on the site use III with a few IVs around. As for what their ratings are, I have no clue. I just read the boxes up at WallyWorld.. they usually have a "chart" that shows what class is what.

As for everything else, I appreciate the thoughts. I'm well aware of the dangers like emergency stops and whatnot. I do think that for this one I'm going to borrow my Uncle's Dodge3500. It would be nice to get an F350 just for this stuff, but thats not in the cards right now. Its all been wishful thinking since day one.

You guys have a good one.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Whew, that's the scariest setup I've ever heard, especially being used on the job. Are you being compensated for using your personal vehicle for business? Class IV hitch or not, what you're asking about towing is entirely too heavy for the Bronco. If you don't stretch the frame, or burn up the brakes, you take a better chance on breaking the rear axle, causing all kinds of serious problems immediately afterward, if you were to tow that load. Have your boss hire a towing company to deliver it.. it's not worth it to you, your Bronco, or the safety of others

·
Fullsize Member
68 Posts
I put 9000#s on my Bronco with a 351W and it struggles. The F350 is only rated to 14000#s there is a big difference between the Bronco and F350. If you decide to do this make sure you have electric brakes on the trailer I cant stop 4000#s properly without electric brakes I can't imagine what it would be like with 14000#s.

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The smaller trailers lack brakes, but this big-un has electric/hydraulic brakes. I always make sure the trailers are loaded to be 95% balanced (no more than 2% of the gross wt on the hook), and its always just a straight pull. And yes davids78bronco, I am being compensated extra for using my vehicle. I took the base rate at job #2 (towing company..go figure), and added $1.50/mi. So its pretty close to $3.25/mi I make with anything attached to my rear end. Although the high rate is quashed by how often I actually tow something. :\

Anywho, for this bigass load, like I said before, I'm going to attempt to borrow my Uncles Dodge3500. Diesel is cheaper than gasoline here now anyways.. I'll actually make a larger profit. :thumbup

vaporbiz: Heh.. tell me about it. I've got near 10k mi on my new 302, and 21k on the AOD and the brakes are near perfect.. I keep my equipment in tip top form. When I know I'm going to be loaded, I've got a set of tiny street tires I pop on to keep the ratio up and the load off my gears. I know the heavy weights are killing the tranny quick, but the perky freshly broken in 302 doesnt seem to mind too much. Just runs a lil warmer than usual. Dont get me wrong, both starting and stopping is a bitch. I was just worried about twistin the driveshaft like a mayonaise jar lid, or havin the spiders come out to say hi..even with my preventative steps. :\

Maybe nows the time to start obtaining the parts to start on my Bronco350 project.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I would not pull that with the Bronk..... I pulled a 7500 lb camper, 27' long for a couple years. Had no problems except for the mountains with the 302. And you had to have plenty of stopping room:shocked
Had the "white knuckle" sickness untill I got the sway control. Whew, it was a Beeeiatchh without it at highway speed.

Anyway, you would tear chit out of your drivetrain with that weight!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
lets see my flatbed weighs in at 2300 a 57 f-250 4x4 weighs probly aroun 6-7 with spare parts in the back so mine has pulled sumwhere around 8300-10000 at 65-70 for 235miles on 1 tank1/2 there and back

1 - 17 of 17 Posts