Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting another rig for free, an old Toyota FJ40 (ya ya I know it's Japanese, it's free!) and I'm wondering if I could take the rear driveshaft of that and tow it on one of those tow dollys. I have the reciever hitch, not the bumper mounted one. Good idea? Bad idea? Even possible?

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue as long as it's the right weight and size for the tow dolly.
x2
No sweat.

Rig up some sort of brake lights (using two extras) or wired into the car's turn
signal wiring in the front of the car. If at night just turn on the parking lights. :)

Please don't rely on the ball to carry the current from a low voltage like 12v.
Run a separate ground wire.

My dad always did it the lazy-way and it sucked. :/ Flickering lights draw
attention from other things that's way more important to be looking at, IMO.

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine has pulled the max weight a few times, and besides the fuel mileage the truck handled it like a champ.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
LOVE the FJ40!!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
x2
No sweat.

Rig up some sort of brake lights (using two extras) or wired into the car's turn
signal wiring in the front of the car. If at night just turn on the parking lights. :)

Please don't rely on the ball to carry the current from a low voltage like 12v.
Run a separate ground wire.

My dad always did it the lazy-way and it sucked. :/ Flickering lights draw
attention from other things that's way more important to be looking at, IMO.

Alvin in AZ
Whenever I've rented a dolly they came with lights. But when I got my tow bar I bought a set of magnetic lights from harbor freight. they work like a champ.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I'm pretty happy about getting the fj40, I'll post pics as soon as I get it. Probably looking at mid december. A good early xmas gift for myself! The plan right now is to build it up throughout the winter, and when it's complete take the bronco off the road and do an engine overhaul on that. It will never be a DD, but it will be a great beach truck!

·
Side step it
1,584 Posts
Yea, I'm pretty happy about getting the fj40, I'll post pics as soon as I get it. Probably looking at mid december. A good early xmas gift for myself! The plan right now is to build it up throughout the winter, and when it's complete take the bronco off the road and do an engine overhaul on that. It will never be a DD, but it will be a great beach truck!
Yeah, the FJ would be a cool daily driver then you can build the Bronco the way you want, especially if it doesn't need to get you to work every day. Oh, and yeah grab the harbor freight tow lights since they'll only cost you like $14 bucks and magnetic so you can use them on anything. I see no reason why you can't pull the shaft and pop it onto a Dolly and bring her home....!

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
...pull the shaft and pop it onto a Dolly and bring her home....!
x2
Don't be lazy.
Pull the shaft/s! :)

It's quick and easy with the right tools and many of these dangged
manual transmissions can't handle being towed. I just learned that
lately (the easy way;). Ford sez that about the ZF and everywhere
sez that about the old NP435. T18 is safe but wouldn't bet on the
Toy. Also the front hubs can be locked etc when you don't know it.

The morning after I towed my Bronco home took these two pictures...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/BroncoDSrear.jpg
Just happed to have tire chain tensioners in the truck so used 'em. :)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/BroncoDSfront.jpg
When I went to buy it, I walked up to it, looked in the front wheel well,
stood up and told the mechanic I'd buy it. LOL :) $700
(not as good of a deal as you got ;)

Alvin in AZ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts