Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay heres the deal,We live about 4-41/2 hours from silverlake ( Michigan )sanddunes we go just about every year with our wrangler.We would now like to try the Bronco,The Problem Not to hip on driving it all the way there and back plus time on the dunes its an 88 with 190,00 miles on it.We have a 2001 Durango v-8 magnum engine,DO you think there is anyway in h*ll that the Durango will pull it ? either towbar w/ all 4 tires on road or I would like to use a tow-dolly ? Silly question But looking for advice can't afford a tow-rig

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Bronco == 5-6000 pounds
Trailer == 1,500 pounds

Probably right at the limit for that Durango, if not over. Even on a dolly, if you can find a dolly big enough for it, not a lot of fun. It'll be a slow trip.

Why not just drive it? If it's in such bad shape that it can't drive across the state, I don't know if you want to be wringing it out on the dunes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
in a durango the problem wont be with power as much as the bronco weighs more than the durango and the durango is short. ive towed some stuff and i always find that when your load is heavyer than what your towing with you tend to have problems. it could be done but slowly

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
My bronco pushed my old mans half ton chebby around a corner damn near causing it to jack knife when it was on a tow dolly. I've towed it on a trailer with the same truck and it was a world of diffrence. Tried it with a SWB f-150 and wouldn't advise it. The wheelbase makes it feel much more stable. Just my .02

·
Registered
712 Posts
Considering the Durango is a Dodge, I'd be worried not so much about the engine (Magnums are good and reliable), but the tranny - Chryslers are known for having inferior transmissions then Ford and GM. If I were to tow my truck I'd use a tow bar, having a trailer is easier to maneuver but adds a lot of weight, and like was said already it may end up a bit too much for the tranny

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,329 Posts
Just drive it, I am just an hour closer then you and drive mine up there then out there. Mine's a '92 with 217,000 on it.
I do usually change the oil, before I go though.

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
Bronco == 5-6000 pounds
Trailer == 1,500 pounds

Probably right at the limit for that Durango, if not over. Even on a dolly, if you can find a dolly big enough for it, not a lot of fun. It'll be a slow trip.

Why not just drive it? If it's in such bad shape that it can't drive across the state, I don't know if you want to be wringing it out on the dunes.
I agree. If your bko is that bad...wait til she's ready. If your ride is so modified it needs trailering... then better get trailer or borrow one... :thumbup

What the heck...? It's only $3 a gallon, right...? :thumbup

Save the Durango. :drinkbud

·
Registered
203 Posts
if you drive it there is always some one to load it up on the trailer when you brake or to help you fix to get it home and if you do go and I do not attend pm me and I will give you my no. and if you brake it call me I will bring the truck and trail to get you home, you are about a half hour south of me ,just cover the fuel (ouch that could hurt with the way prices are for fuel now a days)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks guys.Like I said the bronco runs and drives fine,Just we would be bring our Durango anyhow full of camping gear ( Lets face it its a nicer drive for the kids ) > SO if I drive the Bronco its double the gas,But what do I have to lose,As of now it is not my daily driver,Although I'd like to drive it everyday.Thanks again:beer guys..Again does anyone have any pics of there bronco at Silverlake,I

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
COOL YOU GUYS ROCK !
Any other tips on the sand oppose to what I already know . From taking my WRangler out on the sand,,I know tire pressure,tirepressure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts