Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just looking around to see what it will cost to tow my 1986 Mercury Cougar up to my appartment (this summer to work on it), and I figure I will use my bronco to tow with...Well, after starting to look I see that on this page and others that involve towing a dolly or trailer:

--->
Must be equipped with a full hard top if it is a sport utility type vehicle. If the top or any portion of the top is removed, or is not a hard top, your sport utility type vehicle cannot be used for towing U-Haul equipment. A full hard top must be in place.
From the site. http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=towing-towdolly Look under the advisement section...

Now, I have the hard top in place, but I am unsure as what the fiberglass top qualifies as? I would think it qualifies as a hard top, but what I wonder is if they mean that it has to be part of the body (Connected as like part of the body as a whole (ie not removable) something like/similarto an explorer body type)

Im sure some of you have used Uhaul in the past, but as a tow vehicle where you using your Bronco?

Let the flaming begin.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Don't worry about it..i doubt the UHaul people would care let alone know that rule, it's a fullsize truck..not a tracker

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry about it..i doubt the UHaul people would care let alone know that rule, it's a fullsize truck..not a tracker
:rofl: Funny thing is, I know someone thats called it(mine) a tracker a few times :brownbag....she isn't the smartest thing around...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not the wiseist thing I've done, but I pulled my bronco home on a trailer with a straight cab short bed F-150, so I doubt they'd have a problem.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after some more snooping around, according to thier sight, it says that I can use the bronco with a tow dolly (3500lbs, from what I have read this is about what the stocker is rated for +I have tow package) to tow the Cougar....Dont know though est weight of Car 3100lbs+650lbs=3750lbs towed...then whatever the bronco weighs....

Est weight of bronco is 4200 (guessing compared with f150) so total of 7950lbs rolling weight, Say 8300 with me and my crap...To much? I dont think it is but not sure...
(Time to do more searching....)

EDIT: Reading through this Thread, this post struck gold for me so far...http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1322521&postcount=12

If that is correct, Im good to go at say even at 9000k (If thats what it "could" possibly weigh)

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
get a trailer to haul the car. it will have brakes and you will thank yourself for getting it

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
they might not let you rent the car trailer if your towing it with the bronco. they feel its not a good tow vehicle beucase of the short wheel base. i know they didnt want to let me pull a 6x12 open trailer beucase of that. yet i could tow it with my old lightning..weird

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
get a trailer to haul the car. it will have brakes and you will thank yourself for getting it
If I can I will, just because I like knowing I would have some extra brakes when I need to throw out the anchor if need be.

they might not let you rent the car trailer if your towing it with the bronco. they feel its not a good tow vehicle beucase of the short wheel base. i know they didnt want to let me pull a 6x12 open trailer beucase of that. yet i could tow it with my old lightning..weird
Not sure, think Ill givem a call here today or tomarrow to see. That is weird that they wouldn't let you pull 6x12 open deck. Wasn't a utility trailer by chance?

Still no answer about the "removable" top qualifying as a hard top though.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Just go in and rent it. I worked at a u-haul dealer up until about a year ago and can't tell you how many times I've hooked a trailer to a bronco or a blazer. So long as the top is installed it counts.

I'm also willing to bet the guy you get doing the checking won't realize the top is removeable. It's not something you see/think about everyday.

Justin

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Yeah, get the trailer if you can. I had to pull my mustang twice(Behind a 28ish foot truck). It only cost me an additional $10 for the trailer.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
our broncos can tow 7k. That is with a hitch, not your bumper.
Ok, well according to the link above (which you posted quoting shadowfox) it says that the bumper is good to 4000lbs correct? If that is true, then I should be within the bumpers working limit of 4k pounds, considering the care and dolly almost weight 4k (3750lbs). Right? Im definatly not over the VCWR because im under the 11.5k rating.

Only problem I see with the trailer is I will be overweight by a little...plus I dont have a actual hitch yet, hopefully I will have one by summer. I have one off of an f150 that I believe will work.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Have you looked at the bolts holding your back bumper on? I wouldn't trust that with anything more than a boat, and a light one at that. Certainly not a car.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
I can guarantee that Uhaul wont ask for vehicle weight. And FYI for next time, just say you are going to tow a Geo or something. The Uhaul near my house doesnt even ask what you are using as a tow vehicle. They pretty much just take your cc and contact info and hook it up. I dont think they even charge for their harness anymore, its already set up for a standard flat 4 pin on the trailer.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you looked at the bolts holding your back bumper on? I wouldn't trust that with anything more than a boat, and a light one at that. Certainly not a car.
A quick look yes, an indeth look no. I WILL however look it all over extremely well. Not to long ago Slickerthanyou made a posting for me since I didn't have interwebz at the time about a fuel pump switch (to single in tank) and while I had the tank down, I inspected the back part of the frame good while I was under...If I would of had extra time I would of put the hitch on just so it would be on and done with, but I couldn't :banghead

I will check it out before I tow, wouldn't want to come back saying I totaled a bronco and a mer. c. on Rt 22 30...

I can guarantee that Uhaul wont ask for vehicle weight. And FYI for next time, just say you are going to tow a Geo or something. The Uhaul near my house doesnt even ask what you are using as a tow vehicle. They pretty much just take your cc and contact info and hook it up. I dont think they even charge for their harness anymore, its already set up for a standard flat 4 pin on the trailer.
I haven't gone to them yet, but I wouldn't want to lie and say its something its not. I could see big problems and it costing lots of money if they DID ask and I lied to them and then I wreck...

Like I said before, *according* to the web site I can tow it with a dolly or trailer.

BUT If you try puting in your towing a bronco with another bronco it says the tow vehicle isnt heavy enough.:histerica

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
anywhere I go, Ive been allowed to tow and rent anything with my bronco, even a Fullsize Skid Steer.

Ive rented trailers from Uhaul and other rental agencies topless too (Im reffering to the truck, although I have also rented trailers without a shirt on)

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
You have to understand that most of the people at the front desk probably dont make much more than minimum wage (Im guessing). They never even put down what I am planning on towing. I walk in and say "I need a full trailer" and they usually reply "give me your cc and pull your truck up to the back door". I cant say how all Uhaul stores are, but I am going based off of about 7 locations nearby me that just dont care.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
wow..my uhaul must suck then becuase they say theres no way they'd let me tow any car behind the bronco on a trailer, not sure about a trailer tho. and just get a hitch, its not worth the risk towing from the bumper

1 - 20 of 20 Posts