Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched but couldnt find what I was looking for.

I have the 7 point connection on the back of my bronco, I turned the signals on either way and the power is working for signals to it, Most likely brake lights ect. I hooked it upto my dads trailer before and all the lights worked. But how do the trailer brakes work without a controller? I Just have the 7 point thing on the hitch no controller to adjust the trailer brakes ect. Something I am missing under the dash or??

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Something I am missing under the dash or??
Yes...a brake controller. Tow packages don't come with the brake controller, just the wiring for it.

Unless the trailer you're towing has surge brakes, you will not have any functional trailer brakes without a brake controller.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes...a brake controller. Tow packages don't come with the brake controller, just the wiring for it.

Unless the trailer you're towing has surge brakes, you will not have any functional trailer brakes without a brake controller.
That was what I figured, So I have all the wiring I need? I just need the controller? When I was searching I read something about a little black box for brakes or something.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems like it could get pricey for how much this truck will tow.

This is whats on the truck right now, I have no idea if this plug has anything to do with the towing package. But under the dash on the left side there is 4 wires going into a plug that plugs into nothing. But it is plugged in, maybe to just stay solid, its about 2 1/2" long by 1/2 wide maybe.

EDIT: 2 more pics of connector under dash that i got no idea what its for

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I can hardwire something in thats not a big deal or hard. They come with instructions, Since I have all the wiring for it already I was just curious if they was a plug and play style harness just like the 92-96 or whatever years then buy the brake controller the plugs into the harness. Since I do have the 7 point plug in the back and everything works means there is a plug in somewhere for it, And I was just curious if that was it under the dash there.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I love the comment of seems a bit pricey for as little as the truck tows

people will spend butt load of money for trailers and squeal like the were shot to spend couple hundred dollars for a a piece of safety equipment that could potently mean weither or not the truck stops in time or kills someone

this little gem cost just shy of 400.00 I did not even flinch it is the best money can buy for a brake controller it senses brake pressure instead of g forces thus no false braking on rough roads

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Damn thats a good set up right there Trent. Is that what you have on the FDB?

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the comment of seems a bit pricey for as little as the truck tows

people will spend butt load of money for trailers and squeal like the were shot to spend couple hundred dollars for a a piece of safety equipment that could potently mean weither or not the truck stops in time or kills someone

this little gem cost just shy of 400.00 I did not even flinch it is the best money can buy for a brake controller it senses brake pressure instead of g forces thus no false braking on rough roads
That is a pretty awesome controller, I didn't mean I want to super cheap about this controller to put people in danger, It's just I only see this truck towing once. To move a buddy, about a 100 miles of driving total 50 with the trailer loaded. Im going to go into a trailer shop right now and go buy one, I am just worried about wiring it in.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I bought a brake controller, Not the cheapest one, But not 400 dollars either.

I gotta fix a few wires tommorrow because I got them 180* wrong in the plug, But no big deal. I push the manual brakes on the controller and the trailer brake plug lights up on the test light, But when I hit the floor brakes with my foot just the 2 side one's come on for the brake lights. Is this normal or should the electric brake plug one come on as well with just the floor brakes?

http://www.realtruck.com/product/118860/curt_brake_controller_51130_reflex_brake_controller.html

Says on the case here it provides automatic and manual trailer braking.

Which would mean I hit my floor brakes and the trailer brakes come on, Just have to set the adjustable knob on the side for how soon or late I want them to come on.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you get power on the brake pin when you manually engage the trailer brake, then you've got at least 3 of the wires right (power and trailer brake wire). Sounds like the only part missing now is the signal from the brake pedal. I don't recall off-hand which color that is, but there should be a signal on one of the wires going into the brake controller telling it when you're on the brake pedal. If you can't get any signal there, then you'll need to figure out why that's not happening or where else you can draw that signal from.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Your controller may not send out voltage if it senses that there is no trailer connector plugged in to complete the circuit.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I run the Tekonsha on my 03 super crew. When there is no trailer hooked up that has a brake connection the display just shows a decimal point. When a trailer with brakes is connected it gives a digital readout when the brakes are applied.
Swamp

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I run the Tekonsha on my 03 super crew. When there is no trailer hooked up that has a brake connection the display just shows a decimal point. When a trailer with brakes is connected it gives a digital readout when the brakes are applied.
Swamp
Oh ok, Yes I got all the wiring good now, Figured out what the PO did. I got the single dot. Pretty sure it will all work good now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts