Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my recently acquired 90 FSB has a AOD trans.
P N R (D) D 1 is the shift column order.
I towed my 2 snowmobiles yesterday up to the mtns and I did it in D.
RPMs at 55 mph were roughly 2800 which I thought was pretty good and not to high .
I learned long time ago never to tow in OD ... this rings true for the AOD trans as well , yes ?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I personally tow in od. It is going to dedend on the condition of your trans. 2 snowmobiles is not a real heavy load on the trans if its in good shape. If you find its hunting in and out of gear its prob too much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Im not sure of the trans honestly as I have no real idea as I just got the rig and Im use to Chevy's .
It has fresh trans fluid , TC fluid and rear diff fluid and the engine is a 302 so I figured with that little a motor OD would hunt with any load .

·
Super Moderator
27,002 Posts
yo,
I would keep in in D too;
I believe Ford described D as Overdrive Lockout; - Use if conditions cause excessive shifting between 3rd & 4th gear when towing a trailer, driving hilly terrain, speed control (cruise) fails to maintain set speed on hills (this would be the key indicator of when to go from OD to D)
Low would be used when max eng braking is desired or needed when descending on steep hilly roads

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i usually start it out in D, then shift up to OD when at highway speeds.

it was recommend by dodge/and a rep. trans builder when my dad was towing 20k+ lbs for his business in a dodge 1-ton a few years back, back that was with an electronic trans with a button on the column, so i duno.

the max Ive had inside my bronco was 800lbs(moving, fuel tank of gas, weighted from empty) and thats how i started it, and shifted to OD once at 75mph
i also use D when im offloading or 1 if going down hill

·
Registered
837 Posts
i usually start it out in D, then shift up to OD when at highway speeds.
This is what I do, I keep it in D until I hit about 65mph then I shift it to OD. Then I easy it up to about 70. -This is interstate driving. If I don't get about 60 I leave it in D.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
I agree with miesk, if it's hunting, drop it down to D. if it's shifting fine with a light load, leave it in OD.

i love OD, never understood why people hate it so much and wait until 60-70mph to shift into it. i hate burning extra gas. i'm usually in OD by 35mph :toothless

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,409 Posts
3rd gear is straight thru, so no extra turning of gears. It basically locks the input & output shafts together. The trans should run cooler in 3rd, which is why it's recommended over OD for towing. Heat is the enemy of any auto trans. If you're rolling easily under no load on a slight downhill, OD should run cool enough, but on flat or uphill with any load 3rd is better for the trans.

Since you are going to tow regularly, make sure you have a good external trans cooler. Adding an external filter also can extend trans life. Links 3, 4, 13, & 15 below address filters & coolers. Ryan is having issues with his site, so the pics may be missing in link 3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lots of good info , thanx.
Im towing snowmobiles and so Im always towing uphill on the way there and downhill on the way back.
Uphill - D
Downhill - OD or coasting.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts