Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I've hinted before I'm going SAS.
The original plan was to do a coil sprung D44 from a 79, but after cleaning up the housing I found all the plug welds broken on the long end so the search was on again for a D44 untill I came upon this for $1000
1990 F350 SRW

So, I drove it home and started tear down. First to go was the bed, since it was trashed on the inside I chopped it up into 6 pices and put it out for the many scrap guys that roam the neiborhood on trash days.
Next was the cab, which my brother wanted to use to convert his F250 2 door into a 4 door so after removing the cab

Then started removing the axles and chopping up the frame.

turned the front half into a engine stand with pices of the frame. I'll use the 460 in my 70 F250 later.

And the prize King pin D60 w/410s and matching sterling

and bonus a nice set of wheels

and all the hangers and shock mounts

My plan is to clean them up a bit and thow them in. I'll skip the rebuild for a bit to decide how I like the 410s. After I decide weather to keep the 410s I'll rebuild/regear with a minimum of an ARB in the front. The rear is limited slip and I most likely will go ARB there as well.
I haven't checked out the rear brakes yet, but the front has new roters and pads.
That where it stands for now. Next I will be cleaning and inspecting both axles and brakes.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That looked like an awfully clean truck to just chop up. Especially if it was running half decent. I think you could have re-sold it and made 4-5x the money invested. Which would have bought the 1-ton axles and then left you some money to burn. Just my 2 cents

But great find anyways, that was a helluva deal, regardless if the truck was running. Good luck on the SAS.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looked like an awfully clean truck to just chop up. Especially if it was running half decent. I think you could have re-sold it and made 4-5x the money invested. Which would have bought the 1-ton axles and then left you some money to burn. Just my 2 cents

But great find anyways, that was a helluva deal, regardless if the truck was running. Good luck on the SAS.
It was running bad but it turned out it just needed a good tune up. Also leaked bad at the stearing gear box, and to make it really bad the Trany is shot (bearly makes it into reverse and over drive only worked on occasion).
Around here if you can find a D60 it usually goes for atleast $1200. besides I have always wanted to do an EFI on my "70 F250.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well in the case it's not so bad. But I've seen trucks like that selling for 5 grand around here. I just noticed you're out in Cali, I have no idea what things go for out there.

A D60 front goes for about 1000-1500 out here too.

When is the swap gonna start?

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great startso far Scott
Thanks Tim

Well in the case it's not so bad. But I've seen trucks like that selling for 5 grand around here. I just noticed you're out in Cali, I have no idea what things go for out there.

A D60 front goes for about 1000-1500 out here too.

When is the swap gonna start?
They can sell for that here too, but this way I get all the hangers and brackets I'll need too.
The swap should happen in Feb. I have to wait for my brother to come out and pick up the cab for his cab swap.

nice find. those axles looked super clean too.
They were, Very little rust and the worst og the grime was power stearing fliud from the gear box. I'm just going to clean them up good and give them a fresh coat of paint.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I like the engine stand frame. You have a pretty easy SAS kit there. ;)

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,595 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Hey, good luck to you, looks like a great start, cant wait to see it up here again.

Glad to see my bronco will be getting yet another pair of colors added to it, sweet. (i still get the front pass fender right?)

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the engine stand frame. You have a pretty easy SAS kit there. ;)
x2
excellent use of waste frame....:thumbup
I had to do something so I could move it out of the way. I plan on doing the SAS in that very spot.
when is all your old stuff going up for sale? PM me, Dave was talking to me about it all.
sometime next month, PM me with what your interested in.
Dang you people and your $1000 trucks with D60s......
Keep looking, I've been watching for about a year now. Just jump on it when you see it.
Hey, good luck to you, looks like a great start, cant wait to see it up here again.
Glad to see my bronco will be getting yet another pair of colors added to it, sweet. (i still get the front pass fender right?)
I'm hopeing to get it up there for a rubicon run in the spring, Dave mentioned UC4X4 was thinking about a cleanup then. The fender will be there when he picks up the cab.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
kick butt, cant wait too see that beast on the trail. and yea, UC is planning a trip. Figure it will give me a great chance to customize my bodywork since i wont be SAS'd

PM me your paypal addy and ill get ya the money, im not sure if i'll see Dave before he leaves.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Awesome score! I would have chopped it up too. Theres enough spare parts there that you can have some for the trail and still make some money selling some stuff.

I guess your going leaf sprung?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
So whats your plans Scott? How much lift you going for? You gonna shackle flip the rear or use lift springs/blocks etc, how about the front, F350 springs? What size tires do you want to run whenn its all said and "done"?

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So whats your plans Scott? How much lift you going for? You gonna shackle flip the rear or use lift springs/blocks etc, how about the front, F350 springs? What size tires do you want to run whenn its all said and "done"?
Thinking I will want 7" or so lift when I'm done. Already have a shackle flip in the rear with 1 AAL and have a 2nd ALL that can go in. Have't quite decided on the front springs yet but Ill start by mocking up the 350 springs first and take it from there. I am thinking 36" tires to start maybe the cheap Hummer ones, then when the finances permit somewhere in the 37 to 39" range.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
By the way, what part of Palmdale do you live in? I used to live on the east side of Lancaster way out on 70th St E, between Ave H and I before I moved down to FL.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts