Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my TPS tonight. Put the new gasket on and sealed the throttle body back up. Now when I start the truck the idle is too high.

Any ideas on what I messed up?

I am also getting a stready flow of white smoke out the tail pipe. Wasn't there before this. I think some coolant may have spilled into the motor. Will this burn off in time?

1996 - 5.0 - 141000 miles

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
What is you idle at? Did you go back and make sure the hoses to the throttle body were put back right an aren't leaking?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fires up at about 1500 and slowly makes its way down to about 1,000. I drove it around for about 15-20 mins to get it warm. It is a lot more responsive in the throttle. Stopped at a light it settles in at around 600 to 700. I haven't checked for leaks yet. It got dark so I will ckeck that in the morning.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
600-700 is right, cold motors will idle higher, but not 1500.... i was going to say you may have tweaked the base idle a bit but if it cools down to 700...

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
I replaced my TPS tonight. Put the new gasket on and sealed the throttle body back up. Now when I start the truck the idle is too high.

Any ideas on what I messed up?

I am also getting a stready flow of white smoke out the tail pipe. Wasn't there before this. I think some coolant may have spilled into the motor. Will this burn off in time?

1996 - 5.0 - 141000 miles
What brand of sensor/where'd you get it?

and yeah if you spilled coolant into the intake it will burn away.

Aloooong time ago I had replaced the tps on my bro's stang, and the replacement didnt idle correctly either. so being cheap arses we used a dremmel and made an adjustable tps. just opened up the bolt holes a lil and tightened it down where we thought it should be..

Eventually we got it to idle at 650 where we wanted it, but it was a pain to get it dialed in....

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Fires up at about 1500 and slowly makes its way down to about 1,000. I drove it around for about 15-20 mins to get it warm. It is a lot more responsive in the throttle. Stopped at a light it settles in at around 600 to 700. I haven't checked for leaks yet. It got dark so I will ckeck that in the morning.
Sounds right at cold start mine idles around 1400 then once it warms i get around 700. But i do have a 351w. Throws me a little bit of a fit to crank while cold as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts