Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 79 bronco is at the shop gettin worked on... the guy called me this morning and said that with my lift (4") my trac bar is to short and i need to get a longer one. The same front axle and lift was on my 78 and i didnt need a trac bar. so is this true? if so where do i get a longer one? and why does everyone i know who has the same size lift or bigger all have stock bars on thiers? or am i getting the runnaround here? i really dont know.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your track bar and drag link should be (ideally) the same length and at the same angle in order to avoid bump-steer. Also, the closer they can be to parrallel to the deck, the better.

If you still have the original steering set-up, w/ original length drag link, you're track bar should be the proper length, as long as your lift included a dropped pitman arm and lowered track bar bracket.

If your lift doesn't include a dropped pitman arm and lowered track bar bracket, and the adjusting sleeve on the drag link was turned out to make it reach your stock pitman arm or something, then yeah, your track bar would be too short... follow? Don't think this would be the case, but just as an example.

What's it in the shop for anyway?
Did the guy disconnect the track bar for a repair? Tell him to turn the steering wheel to get the bar to reach it's bracket. The drag link (if hooked up) will move the axle/truck enough to put the bolt through.

Anyway, you can get adjustable track bars from JBG.

-m

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
J A F O said:
You've made 31 posts to this board since you asked this question.
But none here.

Is yer fawking truck fixed yet?
What was the problem?

no shit Bro :shrug yer tryin to help out a Bronco Brutha and you get this:( .... oh the shame of it :banghead

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry boys... 31 posts i might have made, but only 2 of them were worth anything... answer to the question what have i found out... answer.... NOTHIN YET. been caught up in some side job im doin to raise some funds... so i havent had time for the truck. anyways... monday i will know for sure what exactly the deal is.

heres what i know so far, 79 bronco with a 4 inch Dick Cepek lift. everything is connected and in running order, but the front axle sits a few inches off center. now the dude at the shop it was at said somthin about my trac bar being to short, hence the post, but im not so sure at this point. with a four inch i dont think you need it. but... could be wrong. i have a buddy buildin a 78 and he has a four inch lift also and his is the same way... is this normal maybe? i havent driven it yet so i dont know how it handles... thats all i know at this point in time... im open to suggestions or more questions... again i apologize for the late breaking news... :beer :banghead :beer

·
Registered
178 Posts
If your axle is sitting off to one side, yes it is because your trac bar is to short. You need a longer bar or a trac bar drop bracket. I had the same problem on my 78.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
like they said. with 4" lift, you need a dropped pitman arm and a trac bar drop bracket. if not the axle will be moved over to one side. i dont think he is jerking you around, but you dont HAVE to get a longer bar. i would get a drop bracket at least. AXE

·
Registered
178 Posts
A longer trac bar is better then a drop bracket, because a drop bracket puts to much strain on the frame from the added leverage

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
true, but it depends on what you have the $$ for at the time. i went with the drop bracket since the D60 was in my future, i didnt want to have 2 trac bars made. i may... MAY have a drop bracket after the D60 goes in, but that is not for sure. AXE

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
this took care of any axle centering problems on Evilbronc's truck.combined with a drop piman arm ..no bumpsteer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts