Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a source for the mysterious tapered bolt and teamed to repair the track bar

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Many moons ago I just used a normal drill bit and a normal grade 8 bolt.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,794 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
886 Posts
None of the trucks/Broncos I’ve ever had still had the tapered stud, I’ve always had regulars hardware store bolts in there and nothing bad has happened to me yet

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,794 Posts
The tappered bolt is a fix for a wollered out hole on the axle side on the trac bar.
You could also use a bigger bolt, but then have to make the bushings match. Or bushing the hole to get back to nominal bolt size

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
The tappered bolt is a fix for a wollered out hole on the axle side on the trac bar.
You could also use a bigger bolt, but then have to make the bushings match. Or bushing the hole to get back to nominal bolt size
I had a popping sound coming from the front end that was driving me nuts..when I put my SAS together we originally used an over size bolt..that turned out to be the issue..Anyway, this is the part..Ordered from JBG about 2 years ago. From the current pics on the site it looks like they're getting them from a different manufacturer. Either way, that what you're looking for. Word of advice, when using the reamer, go really slowly and only take out as much metal as you need.. I took out a little too much and the taper was sitting inside the hole when I finally tightened it all down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok thank you. I have a Dorman bolt that looks like that. It just not what I imagined in my mind.
if the bolt is simply missing I won’t need this or a reamer. I am planning to install a HD Dana 44 in a 78 bronco I have the HD housing but the bolt is missing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts