Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm working on my SAS and I'm missing the track bar bolt for the axle ('79 HP44). Do I need to run this bolt? It's a special bolt with a tapper and it's like $70-80 bucks for the stupid bolt. or can I just use something else...cheaper :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
You can use a standard 3/4" bolt, but that tapered bolt is really the cat's ass.
Its worth every penney, plus more IMO. And if you have the wallowed out hole on the axle its the best way to fix the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bluesquirrel said:
Solid explorer? Comfortable? Would think you'd be building a pre-runner down there. Though theres no shortage of sharp rocks. Got any pics yet? Would be interested in comparing how the axle fits an explorer vs. a bronco.
It's Wide :toothless

Running a 89 FSB 8.8 in the rear. 35's 5.13 gears.

Use to have a pre-runner ranger, but i desided it better to tip over at 2mph, then 100mph

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
try a regular gr 8 bolt, and if its loose, or you get bumpsteer, you can either buy the fancy bolt, or drill out your trac bar mount and sleeve it with some DOM tubing, or drill it out and your trac bar and run a bigger bolt. whatever.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
zainyD said:
I'd go for the tappered bolt and be done with it, just my opinion.
Yep. It really works great. Because of Ford's design without having anything to support the bolt on the other side it WILL wallow the hole out. Might take 200,000 miles for it to happen, but it will happen. The tapered bolt is the only fix thats permanint, and safe. Can't put a price on tight steering, and with the looks of it you have put a little bit of money in the axles already. Why would you want to skimp out on $100 and use something that won't work as well?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Gr8 bolt 3/4" is fine as long as the hole is not wallowed out (what I am using, no issues, nice and tight). If it is I'd just get that special bolt or more likely fab my own lower mount at that point.

·
Registered
303 Posts
love the SAS explorer!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a update, I ended up just using a grade 8. There was no taper in the hole that I could see anyway.

Here are some updated pics:thumbup

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
looks good man. you probably know a few of my friends from flexplorers.com. jon mcleod had a real nice red ex with a solid under it, gabe simpson in buckville,fl has a white one with a 60 rear and 44 front on 40" hawgs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts