Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hate starting a new thread for such a simple little question, but I couldn't seem to find an answer. I was wondering why no one uses the stock 78-79 track bar bracket. Or has some one used it? I am going with 4" 78-79 coils when I so my sas.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
One reason is that the stock mount is in single shear vs. most aftermarket or home-made mounts are in double shear. Not saying that you couldn't do it and make it work, but it's just easier to make a switch while you have the axle out.

There are some people that went with a single shear panhard bar do to size constraints but they beefed the mount up.

·
Registered
35,469 Posts
They are very common on cracking the frame. Very bad design on Ford's part there. The other thing is I don't believe it will fit unless you're using a custom track bar. With the TTB frame the upper mount needs to be more under the frame rail while the pre-1980 bracket puts it on the side of the frame.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
They are very common on cracking the frame. Very bad design on Ford's part there. The other thing is I don't believe it will fit unless you're using a custom track bar. With the TTB frame the upper mount needs to be more under the frame rail while the pre-1980 bracket puts it on the side of the frame.
yes.

but as Alex mentions, this assumes we are talking upper frame mount.

Not to mention if you have any fab ability it's pretty easy to come up with something way stronger.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe :popc1:

Hey ogeechee,

Thanks for the picks I think I could through that together in a few minutes. Also from your pick it looks like you are running 4" of lift and stock ttb buckets is that the case? If so hom much lift did you achieve. I am basically going to run the same setup if that is the case. Oh one more thing it looks like from the pic that you trussed that bracket across to the engine cross member is that the case?

Thanks
Land

·
Premium Member
7,794 Posts
Thanks for the picks I think I could through that together in a few minutes.
Yep. That's what I did...

Also from your pick it looks like you are running 4" of lift
6" 78/79 Skyjacker coils

stock ttb buckets is that the case?
78/79 coil buckets

If so hom much lift did you achieve.
probably 7-7.5"

it looks like from the pic that you trussed that bracket across to the engine cross member is that the case?
This has been quoted 3 times already in this thread. Below is number 4...

Ogeechee 4x4 said:
...braced it to the engine crossmember...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Check out Mike's (Meixter) track bar mount in his SAS file on Supermotors. If you're sourcing parts from 78/79, he used a upper shock mount/ trac bar mount also, cut to fit for position and height. Great contact surface for welding and hell for stout material.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check out Mike's (Meixter) track bar mount in his SAS file on Supermotors. If you're sourcing parts from 78/79, he used a upper shock mount/ trac bar mount also, cut to fit for position and height. Great contact surface for welding and hell for stout material.

What is that he used for his trackbar? I have seen it befor but can't put my finger on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.