Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: Instead of messing with a Carbed E40D, I have decided to swap out my CArbed 302 for my Old EFI 351W
Thanks to all of those who have given imput on my situation.

So Here is the deal. I haven't been very active on the forums but that is about to change.
If you want to know my background, Read this thread:

MY FIRST 2 TRUCKS

My 2nd truck, was '96 EB with 208K 351W

I recently traded that for a '94 XLT with a 302 that was converted to a carb 2 owners ago

Here it is

I know that the E40D is electronic and doesn't shift or run correctly because the computer isn't all hooked up.
I plan to keep the motor Carbed because I don't have all of the EFI stuff.

I know its been posted 1000 times but all of the threads seem to just dead end.

I was looking at the Baumann Tranny Thing, But I don't really know much about all of this. I'd like to know what I'd need to make it run correctly.

I (THINK) that there is already a Throttle Positioning Sensor installed.
I don't know too much about how the computer works and such, but many of the wires in the harness are hanging loose in the engine compartment.

Here are some crappy pictures of what was hooked to the tranny:

Anyone have any idea what these actually do?
Also, if anyone has any helpful information on the Baumann system, please let me know

ANY Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance Guys!

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
AFAIK the E4OD will not work with carb. it uses the TPS to shift and what not. why the heck would you go backwards in technology. if you are going to stay carbed go with c6 or aod tranny.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AFAIK the E4OD will not work with carb. it uses the TPS to shift and what not. why the heck would you go backwards in technology. if you are going to stay carbed go with c6 or aod tranny.
I'd like to keep Overdrive, and from what I've Read, the E40D is more 'heavy-duty' than the AOD. But Thats just what I've read.

Also The E40D is already there.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
yeah but like i said the E4OD uses a computer to shift and what not. has that truck ever been run? does it shift on its own? i wouldnt think so. like i said you either have to take it back to EFI or get a different tranny. i dont know anything about the bauman controller.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yeah but like i said the E4OD uses a computer to shift and what not. has that truck ever been run? does it shift on its own? i wouldnt think so. like i said you either have to take it back to EFI or get a different tranny. i dont know anything about the bauman controller.
Yes the truck has been run. I drive it around occasionally. It shifts but not like it should. Also Under heavy throttle it doesn't know what to do.
If I could buy a stand alone controller for the tranny, I'd rather do that; It'd be cheaper than a new tranny, and wouldn't require pulling and swapping them.

Don't get me wrong, I'll do what I'll have to do, But If I could get this one to work rather than buying another, I'd like to

·
Registered
408 Posts
the bauman unit will work just fine. hell, just call them. they will even send you all the instructions to use a auto-zone tps sensor with a carb!

All you guys that are telling him to go back to efi need to think about the rest of the situation here:
1. he has no clue what that motor came out of.
2. he has no clue what cam is in there
3. the motor runs just fine
4. swapping efi back into that thing after it's been hacked is a PITA! You never know what's screwed up. Hell, he might not even have an o2 sensor anymore.

Just use that aftermarket tranny controller. Call them on the phone and they'll get you runnin.

all the bauman does is read the tps and tell the tranny what to do, just like the OEM computer... heck, i would rather use the bauman than a stock computer any day of the week. that thing has some killer features!

You can adjust the shift points to exactly what you want them to be, you can alter the line pressure table, meaning that you can up the line pressure just a little at higher throttle possions to prevent clutch slippage.

My fav. feature is the "shift with the cruise control buttons"
You press off and cruise at the same time at a full stop and the tranny drops into first gear. Get off the line, and the controller will hold 1st gear until you push accell, then it'll go into 2nd, press it again and 3rd and then 4th. you can even downshift too.

I say go aftermarket 100%

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
I never told him to go back to EFI i just told him what i know about the E4OD. if the bauman works the way you say it does. then definately go with that. As long as you havent fried the tranny already it sounds like something that will make the tranny last longer

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Kinda sounds like a lot of hassle. Sell the E4OD and you should have enough to buy an AOD with extra to spare.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the bauman unit will work just fine. hell, just call them. they will even send you all the instructions to use a auto-zone tps sensor with a carb!

All you guys that are telling him to go back to efi need to think about the rest of the situation here:
1. he has no clue what that motor came out of.
2. he has no clue what cam is in there
3. the motor runs just fine
4. swapping efi back into that thing after it's been hacked is a PITA! You never know what's screwed up. Hell, he might not even have an o2 sensor anymore.

Just use that aftermarket tranny controller. Call them on the phone and they'll get you runnin.

all the bauman does is read the tps and tell the tranny what to do, just like the OEM computer... heck, i would rather use the bauman than a stock computer any day of the week. that thing has some killer features!

You can adjust the shift points to exactly what you want them to be, you can alter the line pressure table, meaning that you can up the line pressure just a little at higher throttle possions to prevent clutch slippage.

My fav. feature is the "shift with the cruise control buttons"
You press off and cruise at the same time at a full stop and the tranny drops into first gear. Get off the line, and the controller will hold 1st gear until you push accell, then it'll go into 2nd, press it again and 3rd and then 4th. you can even downshift too.

I say go aftermarket 100%
Sounds Good To Me.
I do know that the motor is (supposed to be) the original from that truck, but other than that your right, and it runs just fine.

Thanks for all of that information!
I'm gunna give 'em a call when I get my next paycheck, and I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Nice looking truck!
Thanks, Man!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found out while timing it up after i got my headers on that it is cammed. It sounds nasty mean. Still working on funding for that tranny controller though.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
$550 seems a little high to me for the controller and harness. bowling and grippo the makers of mega squirt make one as well it is called megashift although I dont know what it cost or if it will work as a stand alone I will research it later when I have more time. A few years ago I put a carb on a 95 f150 with an e4od. I got a screwdriver to fit in the tps and cut it off, made a bracket for the tps, spot welded the bracket to the valve cover, welded a nut to the screwdriver, bolted it to the carb and adjusted the tps. It worked like a charm. It wasnt the prettiest setup but it only cost about $8 and about 2 hours of my time.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
if the engine internals (heads, cam) are still stock, i'd just go junkyarding for all the EFI stuff and convert it back to factory.

OR i'd put in a c6...

if i was anal and wanted overdrive then i'd install an AOD if the engine will remain stock (aod will be plenty strong) if you're going to build up the engine much (say, anything beyond stock heads) then you're only choice for overdrive transmission would be a manual..

or. maybe you can find a manual valve body for the e4od.. do they even make that? i bet i could rig up paddle shifters which would toggle a bank of transistors to switch through the gears (and tc lockup) in order as well (on your e40d)... but thats a big project.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$550 seems a little high to me for the controller and harness. bowling and grippo the makers of mega squirt make one as well it is called megashift although I dont know what it cost or if it will work as a stand alone I will research it later when I have more time. A few years ago I put a carb on a 95 f150 with an e4od. I got a screwdriver to fit in the tps and cut it off, made a bracket for the tps, spot welded the bracket to the valve cover, welded a nut to the screwdriver, bolted it to the carb and adjusted the tps. It worked like a charm. It wasnt the prettiest setup but it only cost about $8 and about 2 hours of my time.
In my truck there is a TPS installed but what could I connect to to control the tranny? Whatdidyou plug your into when you made your own?
if the engine internals (heads, cam) are still stock, i'd just go junkyarding for all the EFI stuff and convert it back to factory.

OR i'd put in a c6...

if i was anal and wanted overdrive then i'd install an AOD if the engine will remain stock (aod will be plenty strong) if you're going to build up the engine much (say, anything beyond stock heads) then you're only choice for overdrive transmission would be a manual..

or. maybe you can find a manual valve body for the e4od.. do they even make that? i bet i could rig up paddle shifters which would toggle a bank of transistors to switch through the gears (and tc lockup) in order as well (on your e40d)... but thats a big project.
I don't plan on building it any more but i have no idea how crazy the previous owners went. I know it has a pretty nice cam init but im not sure if the heads are stock or if bigger valves were put in it or anything.
I wouldn't mid a c6 it's just that I'm low on experience on lifted trucks and I have 2 e4od trannys laying around.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
If it's got a wild cam in it, then running the stock fuel injection is no longer an option. i'd just put in a c6. it'll be a lot easier to bolt in a c6 and have everything just work, than to try to figure out a way to make the e40d work. you can probably sell the e4od though , or trade it for a c6.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it's got a wild cam in it, then running the stock fuel injection is no longer an option. i'd just put in a c6. it'll be a lot easier to bolt in a c6 and have everything just work, than to try to figure out a way to make the e40d work. you can probably sell the e4od though , or trade it for a c6.
This may be a possibility I suppose If I could find an even trade or craiglsit it.
But How is the C6 Tranny?

I plan to drive it mostly on the roads as a weekend truck, but still mud her hard occasionally, will it hold up?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts