Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soo a few months ago i wrecked my 89 mustang lx. i put it into a tree going about 25 mph. since then i have bought a 1990 bronco xlt with 302 & aod. i paid $700 for it witch i thought was a good deal till i got it home and found that the passenger side i beam was bent to hell. soo a friend who is into mustangs offered to trade the drivetrain and axles from a 1990 f-350 for the mustang.. i only paid $1400 for the mustang btw and it was ruff before the accident. soo you guys think its a good trade.?????

·
Registered
180 Posts
front axle worth at least $800. unibody car......prob lots of damage.

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Pics would help of damage to the mustang, and the bronco maybe cheaper to just repair the bronco. (if you are going for a running vechicle)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he said the 351 needs new rings and the trans i believe is a c6 worked good, idk what kind of transfer case or if there is more than one.. i have pretty much abandoned the mustang and have done much work to the bronco i am having trouble deciding if i should repair the ttb setup or swap the 1tons witch i think would be pretty awesome and wouldn't cost me too much..
how do i post pics btw... new guy sorry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

the bronco..i have already repaired the damage to the front along with a lot of other stuff. but its 99% rust free the only rust is on the bottom of the tailgate.. truck also has some kind of under coating i think t is zeibart or something correct me if i am wrong..

car before the crash.. i will get a newer pic tomorrow.

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,231 Posts
Oh god.... not this this shit again.

Very simply, a solid axle is more reliable than the TTB is. Period. There are less parts to break, and less chance of breaking parts in a solid axle vs. a TTB. I'm really surprised at Rhauf's videos sometimes, he really beats the shit out of his truck, which does have a TTB.

The 1 ton (Dana 60 & 10.25) axles are going to be stronger, period. If you have a means to do the fab work needed to swap the 60 in, do it.

Leaf spring ain't all that bad either, just ask RedWagon.

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
rauf is living proof that ttb can hold up damn well

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
why do you prefer the ttb over sas?
Well, i suppose it is an opinion that's subjective to the usage you have in mind for you're truck. Yeah, one tons will be stronger no doubt. so if you're doing rock crawling or other such things then the 1 tons are the way to go. also, TTB will limit you're lift to about 6 inches (before you start having geometry issues with it) so if you're going over 6 inches of lift, it's also out (not to mention that with more than 6 inches of lift you'd probably be running tires too large for half ton axles)

if you're doing go-fast stuff, catching air, etc though, TTB is tough to beat. it'll also ride better than even a coil sprung "solid" axle, and far better than a leaf sprung axle. (not to mention it's not prone to axle wrap, etc).

like i said. it's somewhat subjective. what type of wheelin' do you plan on doing?

personally, i think the TTB is part of what makes a bronco stand out from other similar suv's, so to me it's kind of cool to have, broncos (and a few other light ford from 80 - 96) are unique with their TTB... no other vehicles have it.

·
'05 Excursion Limited
1,662 Posts
Well, i suppose it is an opinion that's subjective to the usage you have in mind for you're truck. Yeah, one tons will be stronger no doubt. so if you're doing rock crawling or other such things then the 1 tons are the way to go. also, TTB will limit you're lift to about 6 inches (before you start having geometry issues with it) so if you're going over 6 inches of lift, it's also out (not to mention that with more than 6 inches of lift you'd probably be running tires too large for half ton axles)

if you're doing go-fast stuff, catching air, etc though, TTB is tough to beat. it'll also ride better than even a coil sprung "solid" axle, and far better than a leaf sprung axle. (not to mention it's not prone to axle wrap, etc).

like i said. it's somewhat subjective. what type of wheelin' do you plan on doing?

personally, i think the TTB is part of what makes a bronco stand out from other similar suv's, so to me it's kind of cool to have, broncos (and a few other light ford from 80 - 96) are unique with their TTB... no other vehicles have it.
Probably the best basic pro/con post on the subject.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i do plan on using this truck as a daily driver but i want something i can also beat the hell out of on the weekends. i dont know if you guys have been to the big island before but its country! i like to do a lot of camping and fishing on the beaches and all the good spots aint got roads. nothing the stock ttb setup cant handle but how i see it is i am going to have to replace the ttb then lift it. i am going to have 1 tons on hand for no cost out of my pocket and the means to do all the fab work at my shop.. i definitely want 6+ inches of lift .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts