Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok driving around today i was thinking, any of you remember the way perry mcneil used to do his 4 links? with a coilspring and shock?
what are your thoughts? im looking at the possiblity of doing thing this.
first reason,less taken away from the interior,especially with a cantilever shock.
second ,not the common set up
third,not as much dough involved.
enlighten me....................

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to get some wheel travel,not spend a fortune doing it.
i want to be able to use and abuse.im not looking to 40"of dgaf (haha) just want a smooth ride and suck some bumps.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
You could make it work and work well. I think to really take advantage of it the wheelbase would need to be stretched 6" or so. Then around 21-22" could be achieved. Otherwise I can't see a significant advantage.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i dont want the tires to touch.lol
i want to get a somewhat low stance. and i know that its hard to get a leaf set up that will give me 19-20"of travel and still sit at about stock hieght.
i like the idea of the lower center of gravity

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
to get some wheel travel,not spend a fortune doing it.
i want to be able to use and abuse.im not looking to 40"of dgaf (haha) just want a smooth ride and suck some bumps.

Giant's wiz-bang leaf spring kit could probably do that without too much trouble, but I suppose it's not cheap.

yea i dont want the tires to touch.lol
i want to get a somewhat low stance. and i know that its hard to get a leaf set up that will give me 19-20"of travel and still sit at about stock hieght.
i like the idea of the lower center of gravity
Keeping the truck that low is going to be tough. Even if you can get the rear to work, how are you going manage enough bump travel in the front to get the truck to work right.

All that said, you're still going to have shocks coming through the floor and into the cab. To achieve a fair amount of wheel travel you'll need them on the trailing arm, so why not just make them coil-overs?

Which coils would you use? Would you get the spring rate right the first time? Maybe the cost of a few sets of coils would offset the additional cost of coil-over parts?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all good points.steve, the set up i was thinking of using for the shocks were going to be either on a cantilevewhick i have the arms built already, or on a mezanine style arm with the shocks going into the rear of the cargo section,
simaler to something that fantelli has done in the past.
perhaps going with a regular style lower trailing arm maybe doing the who thing on a mezanine arm would cork out,with the wishbone going forward to clear the gas tank.
remember this is something that i am thinking about doing,nothing set in stone,just trying to find the most affordable way to do something unique.
as for the front i figure that with 6 or so inches of bump wouldnt be bad,as long as the shocks are dailed in.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
If you ended up with a cantilever, again, I don't see why you wouldn't just use a coil-over. Larry Ragland's old Blazer Prerunner used a cantilever with a huge ass coil and a several 2.0" Bilsteins. The truck works really, really well, but the same could be achieved with a coil-over... for less $$$ because of the custom coil required.

My biggest problem with a cantilever rear suspension would be the fact that it would take up a ton of cargo space and make access from the tailgate a pain in the ass... kind of defeats the purpose of a Bronco. Doesn't it?

As for 6" of bump travel in the front, I think that might work OK for something really wide and with a low center of gravity. I don't know about a Bronco, though.

You like unique? Peep this!

·
Registered
809 Posts
i guess i am different than most but i don't understand spending the money on a 4 link without stretching the truck. i don't think that the extra 4" of wheel travel are worth the expense and these trucks are just really limited to the wheelbase. just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I agree with you Ollie. I feel that way about a lot of things. I used to be really hot and heavy over doing a cantilever 4-link on my old Explorer... The first time I drove a truck with a dialed leaf spring rear suspension I completely lost interest.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have to agree with you steve and Ollie but if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I would not be object to going with the 4 link just because. Back her ein the real world I though I think a well built and dialed in leaf setup is just as good for 97% of us if not better for playing and streetability especially when you add the cost in. On the other hand it would be really bling bling (hahaha!!) to say I have a 4 linked rig.......

·
Registered
809 Posts
i have had a few really go fast prerunners and they were a blast but the bronco is not that. it goes anywhere, at a good pace but not fast, and it almost always gets me home. i would take my bronco over any of my previous prerunners, it may not be as fast but it sure is fun!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you know you are all right in regards to wasting time with a short wheel base.and yes a coilover would work better than a custom coilspring.
maybe i am wasting my time with this but seriously,i got nothing better to do ....haha this idea has been in my head for years,and probably will stay there.
i like all the feed back. maybe if i sell enough ibeams,i'll be able to afford to do it right the first time.
for now though like i said before im just kicking it around right now.
hell its hard to afford to drive this p.o.s.!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
i have had a few really go fast prerunners and they were a blast but the bronco is not that. it goes anywhere, at a good pace but not fast, and it almost always gets me home. i would take my bronco over any of my previous prerunners, it may not be as fast but it sure is fun!!!
I haven't had the array of prerunners you've had or the race truck to back my opinion, but when I first kicked around the idea of building the Bronco I really thought it was going to handle like shit. I was expecting a big sloppy top heavy pig. While it is those things to a certain extent, I've been really surprised at how well it handles and how easy it is to drive. Like Ollie said, they may not be blistering fast but they are definitely a great balance of many things and generally a pleasure to drive off-road. I think a lot of times people (that don't have the huge sums of money burning a hole in their pocket) try to hard with these things. It seems to me that some of the best and most used Bronco prerunners out there are pretty simple trucks. The Wilson rigs come to mind (although Paul is really stepping it up!), Ollie's is definitely in this club, the BFG Bronco, etc. Point being, I think you either need to GO BIG or keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
you know you are all right in regards to wasting time with a short wheel base.and yes a coilover would work better than a custom coilspring.
maybe i am wasting my time with this but seriously,i got nothing better to do ....haha this idea has been in my head for years,and probably will stay there.
Imagineering is half the fun!

·
Registered
754 Posts
4 link?

Links work fine if you can shorten the drive line. I wanted to keep the E4OD/1356 so stretch resulted. We tried several configurations of bell crank (sort of cantelever) but the short drive shaft killed everything we tried. A real short transfer and a C6 may work. Look at Atlas and Stack for length. Do the layouts to comfirm. We still had to change the transfer/engine angle to get a better alignment for the driveshaft. I would encourage investigation of the short WB link setup described.
The option is leafs. You can get quite respectable travel with leafs, but as I found out, lots of travel in SF results in failed leafs due to excessive flex. The full stock guys carry spare leaf packs for good reason. Any way. I had to replace or re-arch my spring packs every year. To keep it in perspective that cost is nothing compared to a link setup even without a stretch, but it sure is a hassle to trailer the thing to El Cajon for repair. And I did not like the down time. Now you all must remember that my 96 gets driven at least twice a week on the SF roads. Your use may be much less and the result may be satisfactory.
(Wait till you see my new super fuel tank!! Glen is doing that mod on all 3 Broncos.)
Paul

1 - 20 of 24 Posts