Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys,

Haven't been on here in a while, I have been finishing up some school stuff, and in my free time I've been working on my Bronco. I was unfortunate enough to blow my timing cover seal driving up a hill at 3700RPM for a little longer than I should have, which kept me stationary for a little while. Once I tore it apart, I realized my timing chain had more slack than an old bicycle, so I replaced it, as well as the fuel pump which went bad right before new years (lucky me) and after setting the timing once all this was done, she's driving better than ever. Can't say I'm not proud of myself, as I bruised my knuckles up enough to the point where I think I've earned my just desserts.

Anyways, I thought I'd start with a question. A few of my friends have come back in town from college, thanks to the wonderful COVID-19 shutting down a majority of their schools, and I thought it would be a good idea now that they're all back to do a little trail driving this weekend. The spot I chose was Cashes Valley Road, in Elijay, GA, about an hour and a half north of me. I was wondering if any of you guys have ridden this trail before, and if you have some advice for this trail, or just generally what I should expect or bring with me when taking my truck off road. Two of my friends who I invited drive Jeeps, me being the only one who drives anything else that would be capable of taking on this trail. One of my buddies has a winch, but looking at some videos people have posted, it doesn't really seem like we would have any use for it, if worse comes to worse. I could be wrong however, as this GA weather has been all over the place this whole month. Anyways, I just wanted to get a gauge for what I should do to prepare for a little excursion such as this one. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I know I'm late to the party but here goes.

The trail isn't very long or very difficult. there are 4 or 5 river crossings and these are the most "difficult" part of the trail. the rest is more like a dirt road. I was able to take my stock bronco on 33's through it no problem, but I also made sure it hadn't rained for a few days before I went. the rain could make the trail a little bit muddy, but I still think 4wd would be able to get you out of everything, no winch needed. also, I wouldn't go if it was currently raining or if it had rained heavily a day or 2 before. the rain could cause the river to rise.

anyways, post up on here when you get back and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I'm late to the party but here goes.

The trail isn't very long or very difficult. there are 4 or 5 river crossings and these are the most "difficult" part of the trail. the rest is more like a dirt road. I was able to take my stock bronco on 33's through it no problem, but I also made sure it hadn't rained for a few days before I went. the rain could make the trail a little bit muddy, but I still think 4wd would be able to get you out of everything, no winch needed. also, I wouldn't go if it was currently raining or if it had rained heavily a day or 2 before. the rain could cause the river to rise.

anyways, post up on here when you get back and let us know how it went.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm sure my bronco could make it just fine, my friend with a stock 4 cylinder jeep on the other hand....that might be a different story.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We hiked a portion of trail by the Chattahoochee this weekend. The river is crazy high and moving like a freight trail. With all the rain we have been having I would be careful crossing any moving water.

Good to see back around. If you are currently looking for some work we just started hiring in Buford.

We are a manufacturing plant making quartz glass for the Fiber optic industry. Very cool. PM me your resume if you interested or would like more information.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We hiked a portion of trail by the Chattahoochee this weekend. The river is crazy high and moving like a freight trail. With all the rain we have been having I would be careful crossing any moving water.

Good to see back around. If you are currently looking for some work we just started hiring in Buford.

We are a manufacturing plant making quartz glass for the Fiber optic industry. Very cool. PM me your resume if you interested or would like more information.
Thank you for the offer, I might have to take you up on that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, the trip was a huge success. We finally found the trail after following some rather vague instructions from a jeep forum. We ended up heading up on a Thursday, March 26th. A beautiful day. It was my friend and I in the bronco, his two brothers in one of their jeeps, and his friend in his tacoma. We left my friends house and stopped at a gas station about a mile away. I had about 20-something gallons of gas in the tank, so I just checked my oil and wiped off my windshield. The trip itself to get up to Elijay took around an hour and fifteen minutes. From there, it took us another 20 minutes just to find the trail. We did pass through some beautiful twisty mountain roads, and the weather was perfect. All the windows were down, and I didn't mind having a loud exhaust for the moment. I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty nervous about this trip, being that I don't take my truck on a lot of roadtrips, much less trips that were over an hour long.

At long last we found Cashes valley road, and we followed it until we got to a row of mailboxes, which lead down a road to a dirt trail. We took it and ended up behind what seemed to be a brand new Ram 3500. We all saw the river in front of us, and he didn't seem too keen to cross it in his brand new truck. So, we passed him and passed through. Keep in mind, the Tacoma had a snorkel, and the Jeep had a 6" lift kit. Besides my tires, my truck height is completely stock. I just went for it, and left the truck in 2WD, not thinking about how deep the river was. I could feel the rear wheels dig into the ground, and the truck slowed down. I panicked, and punched the throttle, which dug the truck out of the river. My heart was racing. We kept following it until we got to a clearing. I needed a moment to catch my breath. After we walked around and looked at the next river in front of us, we nnoticed there was a mudpit next to us. So, I was feeling cocky and I gave it a shot. Put it in 4WD and locked the hubs for the first time since I've owned it, and I was pretty stoked when my friend said he got it on video. Here's a home made gif:

I was so proud of my truck. We kept pushing through river after river. I could feel my truck was tired after this whole journey, and I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from stalling. But, we kept going. We passed by a cemetery about halfway through. It was small, and had some old tombstones in it with a PVC pipe cross at the top. We thought that the trail went through to an exit, but when we got to the end of the trail, we noticed it was completely blocked off. Just so everyone knows, it looks like somebody has bought property at the end of that trail. So we had no other choice but to turn around and go back the way we came. When we came back to the first river (which I think was the deepest) there was a crowd of people waiting on the rocks. They cheered us on as we crossed the river, and my friend got another good video as I was the last one to come back.

It really did look like a boat in that video. It made it all the way out and back, with only one stop at a gas station. And no, I didn't even have to fill up the tank. Anyways, I took a bunch of pictures that I'll upload to my film thread if you guys are interested. Can't say when that will be due to the current situation in the world...not sure if photo labs are considered essential businesses, but if they are, I'm in luck. Stay safe out there, wherever you guys are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts