Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Im think Im retiring the 89 to trailer duty now that the F250's gone. (only when I can't get my hands on the old mans excursion) I have a 16' wood deck car trailer I pull around, with whats left of my CJ on it. Coil-over's on the rear for an extra 1200lbs cap. or so and a class III hitch. I'm looking at brake controllers now.. looks like the prodigy is a pretty safe bet. But I'm going to have to swap to a 7-pin connector from my standard 4 pin. Anyone done this? Any kits recommended? Just want to make it as easy as possible... I work on chryslers all day long, so I tire kind of easily from having to working on my own junk.

Opinions wanted.. thanks,
-Pat

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Good choice on the Progidy. For the price its the best brake controller on the market. You won't beleive how well it works and how well it regulates the braking force without actually being directly linked to the braking system.

Now if I were you, I'd take the 4 wires out of your 4-pin for the lights and then just run a new wire for the brakes and the accessory wire. Chances are you don't have the brake and accessory wire on the truck now as it is. For the grond wire, don't use the one out of the original 4-pin conncetor. You will need a heavier 10 gauge wire for the extra amperage the brakes are going to put on the system. If you want reverse lights for that 7th pin you can tap in to your factory harness and hook them up, but they aren't needed. A lot of trailers don't have reverse lights anyways.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't thought about the ground wire.. glad you mentioned that. But everything else seems to be pretty well in-line with what I was going to do. I don't have reverse lamps on the trailer, but now that I think about it, I may use that pin for some aux. lights for loading at night.

Thanks for the input,
-Pat

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Prodigy makes a great brake controller. They also provide good directions on correctly wiring the brakes. Be sure to use a relay and inline fuse on the wire off the battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prodigy makes a great brake controller. They also provide good directions on correctly wiring the brakes. Be sure to use a relay and inline fuse on the wire off the battery.
Yeah, I think I'll just buy one of those installation kits that has all the wireing/fuses/realays and go that route.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
When you put the connector on your bumper, get one with both 4 and 7-then you don't need to worry about loosing the converter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts