Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need new trailer tires and looking for some insite. I,ve read a few reviews and more than once I've seen Carlisle tires rated very low. Numerous blowouts and such.

I have also seen a few reviews which rave about maxxis tires.

Tires will be used on car hauler.

Anyone have any input on trailer tires?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Whatever you do, get the highest load rating in your size, and make sure they are radials. I have shitty bias ply on my enclosed car hauler, but the trailer is new. I have 2 radial spares and will dispose of the bias ply this year before pulling time comes. I believe my spares are Towmaster. Goodyear has some good trailer tires as well.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
I Went back and forth trying to decide on tires for my utility trailer after one of the 9+ year old stockers blew out. I ended up taking both rims to the place that made the trailer and got two new H188 trailer tires mounted up.I think they're radial. I had to go buy a tire and rim from the nearest Walmart when the blowout happened so I have a spare now.
I don't have any close ups.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
agree on getting the highest load range in the proper size for your trailer
also try to avoid tires made in china and other less than inspiring countries

and keep them out of the sun when not in use !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Attempting to find a tire from a country where manchurian is not the main language is not easy.

The trailer does at this time have the bias ply tires that originally came on it. They have been some good tires. There has been an ungodly amount of weight on those tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I switched my boat trailer from Goodyear Marathons to the Carlisle bias plys and didn't really notice a huge difference. Radials tend to ride better but plys are stiffer which helps with stability.

I would take reviews with a grain of salt. If people are parking their trailers in muddy, wet, or grassy then they're accelerating the wear. Or if they're not following the load rating.

All the problems I've had with trailer tires have been radials and mostly because of oxidation after about 5-7 years no matter what the mileage is.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
We would agree with keeping them out of the sun. I cover both my Toy hauler and utility trailer tires when not in use. Also keep them inflated to the max pressure.

Here is a link where you can plug in the size trailer tire you are looking for and it will show you all the tires that match:

Trailer Tires by Size

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,585 Posts
Right or wrong...I've had radial car tires on my car hauler for the last 10 years. The SAME tires...not even a flat. always have been max pressure, and I follow the load rating pretty close... :whiteflag well most of the time. Knock on rubber they've been good to me for so long. I've got somewhere close to 20K miles on these I think. I dont trust the Chinese tires that my new trailers come with...I feel lucky if I get more than 2000 miles from them and they dont do damage when they come apart.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Doesn't matter 99% of the trailer tires are made in China even the Goodyear marathons. Just make sure you run proper size and ply, do not run passenger tires on a trailer they will not last, we sell goodride trailer tires at work and they do good, also sell some carlisles but for the price diff there is no diff in quality,
Just make sure you get a radial trailer tire and not a biased

1 - 9 of 9 Posts