Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
754 Posts
I measured my track width earlier to be about 84-86” give or take. I have 35x12.50 but the steelies don’t have much backspacing so my tires sit out a bit.
Wait. Is your governor gonna arrest you for having fun? Lol

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Rear axle and/or GVW will usually get you, especially in a half ton, well before you exceed the stated tow capacity.

U-haul also told me I needed a one tow to tow my Bronco. Luckily, I had one at the time.

For reference, my 2020 Ram 1500 is rated to pull 12k+. I hooked up my 8K TT and, with the family and full tank of gas, was right at the 6900 GVW. I did have both front and rear axle capacity to spare. The TT has a weight distribution hitch and I promise I use a bunch of it to even get the truck “legal”.

Not to turn this into a towing police thread - just want you to besafe on your journey.
No man, I appreciate all the info - I don’t know much about towing when it comes to weights and balances. I’ve towed lots of boats, but that’s about it. My truck’s tow package is rated for 13,500 - it was the biggest 1/2 ton truck tow package available and I got it on purpose for the ability to tow this rig if I wanted to.

I dunno - I’d like to find a way to do it, if possible.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
754 Posts
No, it’ll be round trip. I’m just trying to avoid driving my bronco 3 hours each way to the sand dunes on Lake Michigan. I mean, it’s not a huge deal - I did it last year. It would be a much nicer trip pulling it while I sit in my 2020 F150! It’s a bit quieter and more comfy in there! Lol.
Yeah, my daily is a Golf Alltrack.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
150 Posts
Be very careful with any rental trailer. Should you exceed the GVW, tongue weight, trailer weight capacity etc......your Insurance will deny a claim if you’re at fault....happened to a bud.

I’d slap a tow bar attached to the D rings on the bumper, Harbor Freight LED magnetic tow lights ($39) and flat tow. If your gonna drive it anyway....go in style in your new truck. You won’t even know the Broncos behind.

Yes, you’ll need a beefier tow bar...like a Blue Ox, that’s what RVers use.
4A8A1856-6C38-438A-B419-FDAD77504675.jpeg

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, but I won’t be flat towing my bronco. I know I can put the t-case in neutral or whatever, but I don’t want to take my chances with that. I’d rather drive it lol.

I’m definitely going to look into a decent rental trailer to see if that’s possible. When you drive your rig 3 hours to a wheeling meet, you can’t exactly hit it hard since you have to drive it home and a tow that far would be $$$$ if you break something.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,709 Posts
I know you were talking rentals, but I'd just buy one and be done. RNR out of three Rivers makes a very nice aluminum trailer. They now have a wide deck drive over fender version too, but I'm not sure if on website.

I pull my Bronco up to the dunes from 5/6 hours away. Having 10k trailer is way to go. I use mine at least once a month if not more.

The fenders come off of mine but I can get it on there with out taking them off too.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
150 Posts
@MS88Bronc Nice dash plaque!!
There’s a really nice trailer for sale on this site but it’s across the country from you.

My Bronco will be my “tow” vehicle...I know she’ll get me back. I’ll wheel my Jeep...can’t rely on it alone bringing you back!

@CrazyBRONCOguy Awesome tow rig and Bronco!!

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@MS88Bronc Nice dash plaque!!
There’s a really nice trailer for sale on this site but it’s across the country from you.

My Bronco will be my “tow” vehicle...I know she’ll get me back. I’ll wheel my Jeep...can’t rely on it alone bringing you back!

@CrazyBRONCOguy Awesome tow rig and Bronco!!
Not mine, but definitely a good reminder!

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I know you were talking rentals, but I'd just buy one and be done. RNR out of three Rivers makes a very nice aluminum trailer. They now have a wide deck drive over fender version too, but I'm not sure if on website.

I pull my Bronco up to the dunes from 5/6 hours away. Having 10k trailer is way to go. I use mine at least once a month if not more.

The fenders come off of mine but I can get it on there with out taking them off too.
I’d like to have one, but I wouldn’t have anywhere to put it, TBH. I live in a subdivision with not a lot of space and an HOA that likes to find reasons to bitch.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,935 Posts
I looked into renting one for the 900 miles to moab from Uhaul. It was only about 60% cheaper than just buying one. Though I dont have an HOA or neighbors to worry about. I'll be buying one myself.

They also wouldnt let me tow it with my 96 f350, but would let a 03 f150 tow it. Go figure.

Ideally, you want the trailer to have about a 20' bed. Itll pull better than one that's just barely big enough for the bronco.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I looked into renting one for the 900 miles to moab from Uhaul. It was only about 60% cheaper than just buying one. Though I dont have an HOA or neighbors to worry about. I'll be buying one myself.

They also wouldnt let me tow it with my 96 f350, but would let a 03 f150 tow it. Go figure.

Ideally, you want the trailer to have about a 20' bed. Itll pull better than one that's just barely big enough for the bronco.
The rental price actually wasn't too bad from Sunbelt - that 14' one above was about $80/day, so for a two/three day wheeling trip to the dunes later this summer, I would have only been out a couple hundred bucks. I'll probably end up driving it AND my pickup with a buddy, so that if I break anything, I can "semi-legally" rent a Uhaul one-way and figure it out. That or I'll sign up for a AAA membership the week prior and just hope for the best. LOL

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,709 Posts
To the point above that trailer mine on is 20' with 3' dove. However I have pulled that same bronco with an 18' trailer as well with no issues. If I was to buy a new trailer today, It would be a 22' with a 3' dove.
Dove may not be needed, but I also pull lowered cars, lawnmowers, bikes, etc... The dove comes in handy.
Just adding info for the thread.
Herc rentals will also rent them out. I have seen some trailer lots have rentals as well.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

i agree with this. i rented one 2 or 3 times by the time i paid the rental fees i was half what it cost me to buy my new gator. not to mention the uhaul stuff is junk and the equipment trailers sometimes where small.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,935 Posts
The rental price actually wasn't too bad from Sunbelt - that 14' one above was about $80/day, so for a two/three day wheeling trip to the dunes later this summer, I would have only been out a couple hundred bucks. I'll probably end up driving it AND my pickup with a buddy, so that if I break anything, I can "semi-legally" rent a Uhaul one-way and figure it out. That or I'll sign up for a AAA membership the week prior and just hope for the best. LOL
No not terrible, but for a 10 day trip, and 2000 miles, it added up fast. For me, it wasnt worth it to rent.

AAA Gold has a 100 mile tow, 3 or 4 times a year. You could have em tow you 100 miles, drop it off, and call again. I've heard the AAA Platinum has like a 200 mile tow.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

mine on my trailer so it may fit on a regular one. i had about 4 or 5 inches on the right side in this pic and about 2 or 3 on my left.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts