Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
No not terrible, but for a 10 day trip, and 2000 miles, it added up fast. For me, it wasnt worth it to rent.

AAA Gold has a 100 mile tow, 3 or 4 times a year. You could have em tow you 100 miles, drop it off, and call again. I've heard the AAA Platinum has like a 200 mile tow.
Yeah - I dunno. I currently have USAA roadside/tow on the Bronco that’s good for around town - I think it’s for 30 miles. Maybe they have an upgrade available. My current package only runs me about $4/year, so totally worth it.

Edit: I can’t upgrade it, it just is for emergencies and short tows to a nearby shop, tire changes, etc.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,935 Posts
Yeah - I dunno. I currently have USAA roadside/tow on the Bronco that’s good for around town - I think it’s for 30 miles. Maybe they have an upgrade available. My current package only runs me about $4/year, so totally worth it.

Edit: I can’t upgrade it, it just is for emergencies and short tows to a nearby shop, tire changes, etc.
$4 a year is impossible to beat... no matter how far of a tow! AAA is quite a bit more, and while it does give discounts many places, not as many as a Military Veteran. Just gave a discount to a ol member of the Brown Water Navy myself.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
$4 a year is impossible to beat... no matter how far of a tow! AAA is quite a bit more, and while it does give discounts many places, not as many as a Military Veteran. Just gave a discount to a ol member of the Brown Water Navy myself.
True. I just tack it onto my Bronco insurance policy for some cheap peace of mind. I have free fomoco roadside on my new truck and the wife’s BMW is the same way. I had the Bronco flatbedded home once for a busted heater hose so that pretty much paid for itself for like two decades lol.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,394 Posts
I flat drag mine with a tow bar behind my one ton when needed, t-case in neutral, key on, battery disconnected, but I have a disconnect on my taillights and just run a home made tail light wire from one ton‘s trailer plug over the bronco to the bronco’s Trailer plug. The magnetic lights are not strong enough to mount to the side and won’t stick to the tops.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
150 Posts
$80 to rent a trailer per day...I haven’t rented one but man, that adds up.

BTW, what dunes? I was in Cali last April and rented ATVs on some wicked, darn right scary and a local d00d got killed flying over a 20’ drop!

Best fun I had in ages!! d00d in brand new ‘Burban thought he was driving a Bronco!
9DEDB136-6C1A-4F2B-8538-48D462D5B34E.jpeg
8B62E0AB-C3B4-44E0-9543-5E60A9E6ADB6.jpeg
5EDE3E47-D4DC-4DB3-B53C-887ACC88656F.jpeg

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
$80 to rent a trailer per day...I haven’t rented one but man, that adds up.

BTW, what dunes? I was in Cali last April and rented ATVs on some wicked, darn right scary and a local d00d got killed flying over a 20’ drop!

Best fun I had in ages!! d00d in brand new ‘Burban thought he was driving a Bronco![
The dunes I refer to are the ones at Silver Lake ORV area near Mears, MI on Lake Michigan.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If closer I'd let you borrow mine as I don't think gonna make it to sand this year with bronco
I was probably only gonna head out there for the Takeover this year. You’re not going? I know it’s still kind of up in the air so who knows. I don’t even think tix are on sale yet.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I flat drag mine with a tow bar behind my one ton when needed, t-case in neutral, key on, battery disconnected, but I have a disconnect on my taillights and just run a home made tail light wire from one ton‘s trailer plug over the bronco to the bronco’s Trailer plug. The magnetic lights are not strong enough to mount to the side and won’t stick to the tops.
I'm currently getting set up to do this. We have a slide-in camper for our dually, and the plan is to flat tow the Bronco behind. In a lot of smaller camp sites, having a trailer can be a PITA. I'm swapping in manual T-case so I can put it neutral, and I need to install a brake system and lighting adapter. Most states will require brakes if the towed vehicle is over 5k lbs.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,935 Posts
Watch out flat towing with certain transfer cases. If you dont remove the rear driveshaft, it spins a shaft in the TC, which isnt getting lubed like it would if the input force was actually coming through the input shaft. You'll burn it up in no time.

If you remove the rear driveshaft, any 4x4 with lockouts can be flat towed.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Watch out flat towing with certain transfer cases. If you dont remove the rear driveshaft, it spins a shaft in the TC, which isnt getting lubed like it would if the input force was actually coming through the input shaft. You'll burn it up in no time.
Which transfer case are you referring to?

All the information I've found indicates the BW1356 (most late Broncos) lubricates when the output shaft is turned, which is fine for flat towing. As long as it's a manual 1356, and can be put in neutral.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, not really a tech question, but I figured I’d ask here anyway. I search around and people have tried to use Uhaul and Penske trailers I guess, but that’s not legitimately an option due to trailer weight capacity. My rig from the factory was 6050 pounds I believe and I have to add maybe 500-600 lbs maybe for 35” tires, heavy duty steel bumpers, etc.

Has anyone tried a rental from Sunbelt or another equipment rental company? My pickup I just bought has the big tow package on it (13,500lb) so I’m not worried about that, just the trailer. I’d rather save the tire tread on long trips (and gas). My track width is like 82-84” give or take, so I’d need a 7’ wide trailer. I had no success looking for one so I may be out of luck here.
FWIW , I ran my 95 over the scales and loaded for overlanding with all my gear and full of fuel it weighs 5600 pounds.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
FWIW , I ran my 95 over the scales and loaded for overlanding with all my gear and full of fuel it weighs 5600 pounds.
Thanks - I figured out that actual weight (curb weight) of a 96 from factory is about 4600, so mine is prob a bit over 5000-5200 empty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a tow dolly and my 96 fit on it but your tire width may be an issue, wasn't that hard but not a lot of extra space between the TD fenders. Dropped the rear drive shaft and went from SLC to my place on the Washington coast without an issue. I used to tow a Bronco II with a tow bar behind company trucks when I worked on wind turbines, a tow bar is not that difficult to get and set up so you could do that. Towed many a car and truck on a bar.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
150 Posts
@MS88Bronc Man, I wish I had your “problem”. With dunes 3 hours away...for me, that’s like going either to Disney World or Key West.

Hmmm, I’d rather hit the dunes! Flat tow it! A lot of d00ds around here do so to wheel. Some even run street tires to tow and change out w/air tools.

Check state law...many require braking systems for the TOAD. Blue Ox are top tier. That’s what most RVers use.

Flat tow, IMO, is safer than a Tow Dolly. A trailer requires storage, Maintainace etc., and in FL....it’s own tag. A rig line you’ll need will cost $50s a year. Hit them dunes!!!

·
Addicted to Junk
11,935 Posts
You'd never use a tow dolly, if you'd seen what I've seen. Dude looked like he was driving an articulating dumptruck, turning both ways at once. In KS, any trailer under 2k pounds requires no tag.

I believe the Transfer Cases that cant be flat towed are the New Process units, like 205s and 208s.not sure about the AWD np203. And also the BW4407, maybe, because it has a different lube system than the BW13 series. Either way, it's a good thing to check for.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,709 Posts
I know all about HOA and stuff... It is why I will not be somewhere that has it today. I say that as also someone that has no children or anything else too, so opinion my change...
I still feel like a trailer is in your future. I had to fence in the back yard and add a gate to the place we used to rent at to have trailer there. Somehow the fence was a loop hole. I dont remember the details. Maybe there is something close to that you could do, to get one??
I now have 2 and use them both all the time, could not see being without them. No longer an issue at current house with any hoa or anything.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I know all about HOA and stuff... It is why I will not be somewhere that has it today. I say that as also someone that has no children or anything else too, so opinion my change...
I still feel like a trailer is in your future. I had to fence in the back yard and add a gate to the place we used to rent at to have trailer there. Somehow the fence was a loop hole. I dont remember the details. Maybe there is something close to that you could do, to get one??
I now have 2 and use them both all the time, could not see being without them. No longer an issue at current house with any hoa or anything.
Yeah - I’ll get one one of these days. I’ll probably have to keep it at a friend’s house though, because I’m not gonna pay $80/mo to keep it at a storage facility. The way my house is situated on my lot, there isn’t a good way to have a gate into the back yard to store a trailer. Hell, my nazi HOA won’t even let me build a proper fence to “hide” it. I need to get back out to the country for land and fewer rules - the wife wanted this for schools and such for kids - so I get it sort of. I hate the rules though.

My Bronco is street legal and drives pretty well, so I can always drive it if it comes down to it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Even if there's no HOA, be sure to read the ordinances wherever you decide to go... you might be surprised. I never even thought about it when we bought our trailer (24' enclosed car trailer) a few years ago, and even had it in our driveway for 4 months before I started getting nastygrams from the town. You'd never know by driving through town, 'cause everyone has stuff in their driveways/yards that's not allowed, but you can only park a trailer/rv/boat behind the front of the house. Our street is too narrow for me to turn the trailer in on the side of the house it would have to go on, so I pay for storage... :mad:

41 - 60 of 62 Posts