Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several threads on trailer towing from 2006 and did not want to hijack someone elses post. I can't find a Bronco quite like mine that has the trailer towing package. My 96 Bronco 351W came with the factory towing wiring, rear stabilizer bar, tranny cooler mounted between grille and radiator on right hand side but no 4 shocks on the front. This is a one owner vehicle. I can't imagine the dealer removing them prior to my buying it. Did they make a 96 Bronco without the 4 shocks up front with a trailer towing package? I am not sure about an oil cooler. I don't know where that might be located. I recently installed a bassani cat and the transmission lines are less than an inch from the cat. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how best to insulate them?

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
well, if it's any consolation....mine is the same way. 96, 351, factory hitch & wiring, cooler, etc. and single front shocks, although the lower mount is there for dual shocks (no upper mount that I can see). The documents that came with the truck (also one owner) say "heavy duty" under options. I'm not sure there was a "heavy duty" bronco, but I have to admit I haven't researched it. It doesn't matter to me whether that was a package or not....the equipment is still on the truck.

So, either we both own the red headed step children broncos or that combination of options did not necessarily include dual front shocks.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. We may well be red headed step children but it is good to know there are two of us. My gut feel tells me the 4 shock front was an option. r. Do you know if you have an oil cooler. I am clueless as to where it might be.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well, my '96 is a little weird too. It has, the hitch, wiring, sway bar and quad shocks up front but no trans. cooler or oil cooler.

Maybe there are others like it but I figured with the towing pkg, a trans cooler would be standard, should be anyway.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I believe the quad shocks were part of the "handling package".
The 4 core rad/trans cooler/oil cooler were part of the "super cooling package".
The 7 way RV plug, wiring for the brake controller and rear swaybar were part of the "trailer towing package"
A class III trailer hitch was not part of a towing package. I have the 7500# rated chrome rear bumper.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
the oil cooler is where the oil filter screws on. Its just a box with 2 radiator hoses running to it off of the lower rad. hose.

If you have the oil cooler then you will use a fl-820S motorcraft oil filter, if you don't have it you can fit the FL1A

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, that clears the fog for me. I never knew why I had to use the shorty oil filter before. I think I will leave the transmission lines alone as I have been told the air flow will take care of the closeness to the catalytic converter and wrapping the lines will do more harm than good. Not enough room to put up any kind of shield between the bassani catalytic converter and the lines anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rear axle type with 1989 trailer towing package

My 1989 Eddie Bauer 5.0 has the H.D. Trans. Cooler, 4-row H.D. Radiator, H.D. Fan Clutch, quad shock front end and stabilizer, rear stabilizer bar, and factory Class III hitch. From the door jamb, my trans. code is "T", axle "H9", tape "U", spring "BZ." No oil cooler at filter mount. Do I have the Trailer Towing Package and Handling Package for 1989? I seem to only be missing the oil cooler to have the "Super Cooling" package, but I am not certain if it was included for 1989. Does not even dream of overheating when towing over mountain grades.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts