Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a toy hauler. Currently on stock tires my Wagoneer is 72 inches from outside edge of front tires. Having trouble finding a trailer that will hold it and where I can drive between the fenders. With 12.5" wide tires I'll be right at 75 inches wide.

I've been cautioned to avoid trailers made using trailer axles. Something about how rims are mounted and how much of a pain it can be to balance them. Any truth to this?

I'm really lost here and looking for some advice.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
You're thinking of mobile home axles.

Car/equipment trailers with 82" between fenders are fairly common. If you want wider than that, you're looking at deck-over trailers.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i meant mobile home axles. Those are bad i take it?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I think you're refering to the way they mount on the hub...kinda like a tractor rim. It's odd, but if mounted correctly, there should be no problem. They are tuff and cheap, most housing places can't give them away, and you can find them with brakes pretty easy.

KC

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
they are like old truck and trailer tires that use an L shaped wedge thing under each lug nut to hold the rim on. There is no center to the wheel, thats the hub that is permanintly mounted to the axle.

·
Registered
971 Posts
yea i was always told to stay away from them too. My uncle i know had trouble with them before

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
they suck compared to a standard wheel, but they ain't that bad. Its not like you're going to be taking the tires off every day...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've used mobile home trailer axle multiple times to make dune buggy trailers, which is very popular in this part of the country. Mounting the rims require a little extra time and a small sledge hammer. U don't use the sledge on the wheel, Well u can if u want but I don't recomend it, just stand the sledge handle up an inch or two away from wheel and spin it slow. Watch for areas that gets close to handle and tighten down the nuts closest to that spot and loosen the nut directly across from them. Once it spin fairly true then tighten them down. On another note I have a dovetail trailer that I haul my f150 on that is 83 inches wide with 30 psi of air in the tires. The only thing I did to make it fit was move the fenders out one inch each side, so there are trailer that fit ur needs u just need to look around or buy mine so I can get a bigger one!!!
One other thing mobile trailor axle can b bought for about 150$ with tires here if u know who to ask. A home built trailer may have to b inspected nowadays in some states also, so u may lose more money trying to build one that passes than just buying a good used one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts