Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been looking for a trailer to tow the bronco for a while and have some questions. I found a 16' long that is rated for 7000* but it isn't what you'de call a full time car trailer but is built well. More of a utility but has brakes on both axles and would be rated for the bronco. The other one I found is an actual car trailer with the dovetail and is 18' long and is also 7000*.

The good thing about the first one is it's $700 less than the car trailer. So does anybody have some towing wisdom and experience they could share as to which one to go with?

Thanks

Cameron

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
I own one of each kind of trailer and I have to say the "car hauler" towed my trucks and broncos no differently than the utility trailer. As long as it is rated weight wise for what you are towing the major difference there is the length. Being able to move the weight around to put more or less weight on the tongue of the trailer is a pretty nice option to have. 16 ft is going to barely cut it for towing a lot of vehicles, but would work for a bronco. If you're having it made for you consider having points welded on to attach your tow straps to etc. Also consider the placement of the trailer jack so that you can hang bumper length over the front of the trailer if need be and so that you can open up the tailgate of the tow vehicle without hitting the trailer jack.

A car trailer is just better setup to handle getting a car on there. You'd have an awful tough time getting a car up on the utility trailer without some long custom ramps because of how low cars are to the ground.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would go for the 18' with the dovetail the extra lenght can really help sometimes.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
One very important thing I look at in a car trailer is the ground clearance at the overhang. Not too many things I hate more than that god dammed low down overhang scraping on every driveway in town.

On most car trailers theres usually 82 to 83 inches of room between the fenders. A stock truck fits through there fine. 8" wide wheels with 4" backspace and 12.50" tires will wedge through. 10" wide wheels with 4" back space and a 12.50 or 14.50 tire will not go on forwards. Sometimes the rear axle has a narrower track, so they can be backed on with a little rubbing.

If the utility trailer has the deck over the fenders, I would definetely go that route. Just remember that if it comes with Carlisle tires on it carry a few spares. And with teh Carlisles, when you have a blow-out you will need to get the tire replaced at the next tire shop down the road because the other tires are going to be blowing out right behind it and you will need that spare.

·
Chaos is coming!!
515 Posts
I dont like car trailers for the simple fact that most trucks wont fit between the fenders. I use deck over trailers that are rated at 10,000# As far as hauling with them, as long as its loaded right, there wont be any difference between the two. The only draw back to using the utility type trailer is if you would ever have to haul a car, it may bottem out going up the ramps(unless you have a dovetail, then it will only happen with low to the ground cars.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went and looked at them again tonight and am leaning heavily towards to 16ft. The specs: 4" channel on the utility vs. 5" on the car trailer, both 82-83" wide, $700 difference in price. The other thing I wasn't sure of but thought it had to be that way was that on the 18', the 2' of the dovetail are included in the length. So you still have 16' of flat deck on it just like the utility. I know that I'm not going to have the back tires on the dovetail while moving. But I guess you could have the back end of the frame hanging over the dovetail. Someday I'll custom make one with the deck above the tires so I can have another 12" of width.

Cameron

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
With a frame only made of 5" C-channel, be sure to support the back of the trailer with a set of jackstands or whatever to keep the frame from bending.

I know it sounds strong, but over time they will have a noticable bend to it

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm probably going to go with the 16' and it has 4" channel so I'll have to watch it even more huh? Now with the jackstands are you talking about when loading?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ya the trailer you mentioned with the bed over the tires is called a deck over and are usually around 100" wide, or you can buy the drive over fenders for most car and utility trailers. But i would still recommend the dovetail you will be thankful if you ever have to load a low car or if your bronc ain't running. but it is your money it is up to you of course.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
a 7000 lb rated trailer is not big enough for a fullsize bronco. figure 1800 for the trailer that leaves 5200 lbs for the vechile on the trailer. now your running max weight which leaves no head room. Carry alot of spare tires you will blow them frequently.

get a 10k rated trailer and not have to worry about buying something not big enough from the start.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
go weigh your bronco the way you will be towing it every time. you would not be in the vechile so you could subtract that if you were in it while weighted.

my bronco used to weigh 7360, with me in it. I am a pig @ 260lbs.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
CJW said:
I've been thinking about that too. But I could always get some 5000* axles in the future.
You could, but that frame is designed for 7000 pounds. The engineers that design the trailers do everything to a bare minumum with very little safety margin. So in other words, if its rated for 7000 pounds, it might hold 10,000 pounds, but I sure as hell wouldn't drive it down the road like that.
CJW said:
What is everyone else using weight wise?
I bought myself a new BigTex 12,000 pound utility trailer last june. I liked it because its a deck-over with no fenders in the way, 20 feet long, 37" deck height with awesome overhang ground clearance, 12" I-beam frame formed in to the tounge (all one piece), 3" C-channel crossmembers 12" on center, Dexter 7,000 pound cambered axles.....Its a heavy duty trailer. And what I really liked is its overbuilt for its rating. Its heavier tham many other manufactures 16,000 pound and 18,000 pound trailers.

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
I haul a centurion on a 3 axle trailer. Had it rebuilt because I just didnt trust it to haul that kind of weight on two axles.

Total vehicle weight has been up to 9k. The usual hauled vehicle is only around 7500 pounds. 2 door Bronco is light weight stuff, I think it only weighs in at around 5000 pounds. (460 engine in it)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts