Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a dumb ? but i am getting a class IIIhitch installed isthere any easy way to hook up trailor lights and what type plug should i get the flat 4 or the round 6 or 8 one. any help would be appreciated thanks in advance BTW it is a 78 351m thanks

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
There is probably a plug in kit for a 4-pin harness that connects to your taillights otherwise you could splice into the taillight wires with a universal 4-pin kit

·
Chaos is coming!!
515 Posts
I would get the 7 pin RV plug, that way you are covered and you can buy adapters for it. But then it also depends on what you are going to be pulling with it. If you dont need the 7 pin, I would definatly install a 6 pin As far as I know though you are going to have to splice into the existing wire harness since I dont think they make a plug in harness for older vehicles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am going to tow a 65 mustang drag car and i am getting a trailor that should have brakes so i will get a 6 or 7plug also anyonehave the color codefor the wiring ??

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
The trailer plug kit should have a wiring diagram included. If not, look at the manufacturer's website, and see if there's on available online

·
Registered
106 Posts
Many diff ways to do this. You can find out what plug the trailor has and buy that kind of plug, or buy an adapter from truck plug to trailor plug.
Do you already have a plug on the bronco?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i donot have a plug that is what i want install and i was looking for the wiring diagram so iknowwhat wires to tapinto

·
Registered
106 Posts
davids78bronco said:
The trailer plug kit should have a wiring diagram included. If not, look at the manufacturer's website, and see if there's on available online
redwagon said:
Damn I thought someone was giving one away.:doh0715:

by the way...welcome welcome welcome.
Like Dave said. If you have a place in your area that sells them just ask sales person to check for a wiring diagram to make sure. I had 6 round put on my trailor but can't remember if I rewired the truck for 6R because I took it off awhile ago not going to tow with the truck anymore.
Go with 6R because I know there is an adapter from looks like (7) 6 flat/w a round center pin to 6R thats what my dad uses on 05Chevy 2500HD to tow my trailor.
Are you waiting to decide on trailor plug until you figure out what the bronco's plug will be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
etrailer.com has adapters for every vehicle made. I got the T-harness adapter for my '96 Bronco from them.:chili:
P.S. I forgot to mention that I also got the brake controller and harness kit from them too. Truly one stop shopping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts