Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was coming home from work today and the speedo needle just dropped and the tranney came out of overdrive. I have had this happen before and all I had to do is thump the front of the instrument cluster and the needle work just jump up to speed and the tranney would go back into over drive. Today of course thumping, hitting and yelling did not fix it. I got home and pulled codes and there wre none. I checked all of the fuses and I am going to Ford to pick up a VSS in the morning. Is there a way to test the sensor? I don't think it is the vss. I think the speedo itself is bad.Can the speedo it self go bad? I pulled the cluster out and I do not know which wire goes controls the speedo its self. Am I right or can some one tell me what to do next. Oh, I did a search and did not find any help. I like the search feature myself it keeps me from haveing to type that much.

·
Registered
566 Posts
does it move at all? if it moves some, then I pull the speedo gear out of the tranny and check for any missing teeth. If it doesn't pull out then i'm afraid this could be early signs of seeing the tranny maybe about to go?? not good man. :(

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I would try replacing the VSS it is what controls your speedometer and its in the rear axle....it doesnt calculate it off the transmission....those are some signs that the VSS is bad...search on VSS and you will see more on it...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well let me tell you this, the NAPA store did not know what I was talking about when I said vss. It took some time and he told me it was called a ABS sensor. So, if anyone had a problem finding a vss for a 94-95 this may be why. I did not know it was a ABS sensor. I heard it called vss on here all the time.:histerica

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
The sensor in the rear Axel are both a vss and abs signal generator depending on the year and model of ford some fords have a signal generator on the speedo cable at tcase it can get confusing it all depends what equipment the truck has.:thumbup

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have replace the whole insturment cluster and the vss/abs sensor and my speedo still does not work. I my tranney still goes into "limp mode" when I try to drive it. I am running out of ideas. I was sure it was the speedo due to the fact that I could thump it and it would start working again. I guess this has nothing to do with that. Could the RABS module keep it from working? How does the signal from the rearend make its way to the speedo?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have checked every wire for ohm and all seems good.

If everything looks good, check each wire for resistance to ground with only the 4WABS & ABS sensor connectors UNplugged. Both should be over 10KOhm to ground. If not, find the short or overlay a new wire.

Are you talking about each wire or are you talking about the 4WABS and ABS sensor themselves?

Damn there is alot of wire in there. More than I want to see again. If I have or done everything you say to do, what then? Could the 4WABS be bad? How do I check it?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: Well I got it. I guess it was a bad connection. I bought some contact cleaner and cleaned every connection I had. I had jacked up the rear end to do the RADS check and noticed that the speedo came up. I gave it a little gas and sure enough the needle came up and went back down. Steve83 THANK YOU for letting me bother you for help. :thumbup :thumbup :rockon :twotu:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts