Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, My Bronco came stock with a tranni cooler.
It is the external radiator unit that mounts in front of the regular radiator.
Is the OEM cooler sufficent enough to cool the tranni after putting on larger tires, lets say 37's?, or would an aftermarket unit be a better choice?
If so which one?

I would like to know because down the road if I ever get one, i would hate to blow my money on it just to find out that it doesnt cool any better than the OEM one.

Any feedback is appreciated.:thumbup

·
Registered
776 Posts
from the pics ive seen the factory one is really small, ive seen people use an F-350 one which was like 2 times as big, if i remember correctly it was mounted behind the radiator

G

·
You need to add one, the factory one is not enough. I have an F350 and I took it off.
Put it in series, run it through the radiator first then to the add-on.
Hayden, tru-cool, B&M they are all better than any factory model.
Stacked plate is the best design.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
776 Posts
this ones bigger and cheaper the 53.95 one is 15.5"x7.5" It doesnt say that on the web site, but it does in the catolog and it comes with the hookups

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
get freakin huge one, then you dont have to go thru the rad at all. because if your rad leaks, and you mix coolant into your trans fluid, goodbye trans. a large one up front plus a framerail/filter model wouldnt hurt either.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Jer, the one from Summit will work fine. I'm not that familiar with the stock ones that mount in front of the radiator, but they look like they'd be somewhat effective.

I'm with Squatty, don't use the stock in-radiator ones; if it fails you've got water in your E4OD and at the very least trashed the torque converter. The theory that the in-radiator units help to "pre-heat" the ATF during cold weather is BS..... unless maybe you live in the Arctic.

G

·
I know we have been though this, but the cooler in the radiator helps cool, and the add on finishes it.
In most applications a stand alone will do, but both would do better.

There is more line pressure in the tranny cooler, than in the cooling system. You'll get oil in the antifreeze not antifreeze in the oil.
Still not a good situation if your out in the sticks.

·
OMG IT RUNS
528 Posts
I was thinking going with an add on cooler like that, plus a 2nd one with a fan on it, for slow speed four wheeling. Would that be overkill?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Traveler said:
I know we have been though this, but the cooler in the radiator helps cool, and the add on finishes it.
In most applications a stand alone will do, but both would do better.

There is more line pressure in the tranny cooler, than in the cooling system. You'll get oil in the antifreeze not antifreeze in the oil.
Still not a good situation if your out in the sticks.
By 200 degrees ATF is starting to break down. Since my Bronco runs at 205 religiously on the highway I'm not gonna run my ATF next to that.

The line pressure would only be an issue assuming a pinhole leak. Anything more than that, and they'll mix anyway..... or turn the truck off and line pressure drops and they then mix. Happened to the "Ultimate Avalanche" not long ago, they wrote about it (as much as I hate to cite the mags).

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
The radiator internal cooler helps heat up the tranny in extrem cold enviorments. It takes a long time to get my gauge off 100 when it's under 30 outside.

Note that my engine ALWAYS runs at 195. so hotter engines may be too hot in the summer as KL noted

G

·
Where is the tranny cooler inside the radiator mounted??
Next to the inlet, or next to the outlet of the radiator.

I hope the water coming out of the radiator and back into the engine is not 205 degrees.

G

·
I know I will never change your mind, as much as you won't change mine, but do you see my point?

How efficient is a radiator? 50 degree drop, so your fluid, if heat transfer was perfect wouldn't get over 155 degrees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:beer Good grief a red wings fan-the radiator tranny cooler does help from the point of not allowing the tranny to run too cold-can be just as bad as too hot. I agree that running in series is the way to go.The in radiator cooler is not a bad thing as fluid to fluid heat transfer is more effective than fluid to air

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Traveler said:
I know I will never change your mind,
That's true.........the risk of toasting a tranny and being left stranded for something that could have easily been bypassed is something I can't accept. I'm all about simplicity and reliability, there's no Napa out on the trail

As for the location of the cooler, it runs the whole vertical driver's side of the radiator on my '90 while the inlet is on the passenger side. So, how does coolant flow thru the radiator? Side to side or up and down?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
HOT coolant goes in the passanger top
COOL coolant exits the drivers bottom

Generaly speaking sometimes but not always :toothless
So the trany cooler is on the "cooler" side of the radiator :confused:

Keith does not use the radiator cooler, which is due to driving style. He drives lots of trails with that truck. So the opertunity for it to over heat is great compaird to others. Daily drivers in the North should keep the radiator cooler so they don't run a cold trany every morning to work.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
bronc95 said:
:beer Good grief a red wings fan-the radiator tranny cooler does help from the point of not allowing the tranny to run too cold-can be just as bad as too hot. I agree that running in series is the way to go.The in radiator cooler is not a bad thing as fluid to fluid heat transfer is more effective than fluid to air
:wtf does me liking the Red Wings have to do with tranny coolers :confused:

G

·
Okay you bring up a good point, slow going on the trails creates the most heat we all agree.
Wouldn't the additional 10 or 20 degrees the radiator takes out be an advantage?

Without the Radiator cooler, what type of temps do you see?

Last summer creeping up pikes peak, I reached 230 degrees. I can't imagine what it would be without the help of the radiator.
That is with the mobil 1 synthetic ATF which runs cooler (yet to be proven)

Fireguy, Hey no offense but the cooler I threw away is bigger than the one you have.
Maybe we are in different ball parks, I am talking, E4OD with the heat generator, lock up convertor.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.