Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my external transmission filter kit and my cooler kit from summit. My only question is this: What order should the various coolers and filter go in? It seems that the instructions for both of the things I've got suggest that fluid come from the transmission, into the stock cooler in the bottom of the radiator, out to the external filter, into the add-on cooler, and back into the transmission. Does this sound right? Does it matter?

Thanks for any help.

Also, where's that Transgo write-up? I just got my Transgo kit, and the instructions scare me.:shocked

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
here is the order i have mone starting from transmission.

return hose into cooler into radiator out to remote filter, and then to transmission. the return line is the bottom one going into the radiator

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,652 Posts
Dont bother with running the trans fluid through the engine radiator (unless it gets really really cold in MI). Thats gonna warm the trans fluid to 195º (your coolant temp), which is already hotter than trans fluid should be. Just go from the radiator into your filter, then to the summit cooler and then back to the trans. Then plug up the two trans cooler ports on your radiator and forget about it. I have both my trucks set up this way, and dont have any problems, even when its 0º outside in the winter.
Removing the trans fluid from the engine radiator on my bronco dropped the trans fluid temps by ~20º when wheelin. :shocked

·
Registered
689 Posts
i have a tranny temp gauge on my stang and with the rad cooler hooked up and the b&m cooler blocked off with cardboard it almost never gets over 100 degrees...and i dont drive the car in the real cold weather....so if you do at all you might want to keep it hooked up to the rad

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reptillikus said:
Dont bother with running the trans fluid through the engine radiator (unless it gets really really cold in MI).

Ummmm, yes, it gets really cold in MI, like -10 F or colder.

Thanks, though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm also getting ready to do the trans cooler/filter mod and am in Mi. I'm concerned about running it through the radiator cooler line as its the original rad and although it appears to be in good shape who knows the condition of that radiator line. Most of the stacked coolers I've seen state that fluid is diverted past the cooling fins until it reaches a certain temp/viscosity.
Anyone in the Northern states bypass the radiator and if so any problems??

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I went with B&M's recommendations, and ran it with the hot ATF coming out of the trans going into the rad cooler/heater....then into the B&M stacked plated cooler......then back to the tranny. I also have a sending unit block added to the fitting at the point where the hot ATF goes into the rad, so I can get the most accurate reading of tranny temp on my gauge cluster.
Just so you know even in summer with ambient temps at 95*F-100*F the tranny temp never goes past like 185*F-190*F......and thats even in NYC stop and go!

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
reptillikus said:
Dont bother with running the trans fluid through the engine radiator (unless it gets really really cold in MI). Thats gonna warm the trans fluid to 195º (your coolant temp), which is already hotter than trans fluid should be.
Man, it better not be that warm at your radiator outlet :shocked It should be about 200 coming in, 140 or so going out.

At any rate, I'd run through the filter first just to get any crap out of the fluid before it piles up in the curves of the coolers. I also vote to bypass the radiator cooler, but also install a thermostatic bypass for the aftermarket cooler. That way the tranny can get up to temp quickly (I think the bypasses are rated around 90 to 100 degrees) when the air temp is really cold. IIRC, B&M and Art Carr sell the bypasses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts