Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the last time i got stuck, the next day i had tranny problems. cleaned the vss, and its been fine since.

lately ive been noticing my dipstick for my tranny is rusting, i can get a towel and clean the peices of rust off. it looks like its rusting at the top of the dipstick too. its possible its just gunk, but it looks like rust.

i disconnected my aux cooler today, drained some fluid out, to check it, cause im scared theres water in it, but i dont think they would mix. i compared it to the same exact ATF ive been using, the new one is a bright cherry red, mine is alot darker. i just changed teh filter and fluid around 3k ago, but forgot to drain the TC.

i dont wanna drain it, its more money i can use on vacation, but im scared to pull a heavy trailer all the way to the beach, if i have water in my tranny.

so is it normal for the fluid to darken after 3k miles like that? and any reason the dip stick could be rusting?

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
adrianspeeder said:
So you just did a pan drop? If I remember right that is only 1/3 of the fluid.

Adrianspeeder
yes. i think all that was left was the 5 qts in the TC.

also another question, if i drain the TC, when i put fluid back in the tranny, will it fill itself up?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
29 beans

buys Summit's house brand remote transmission filter. That'll help keep the ATF filtered clean between yearly drops.

With a pan drain bolt you'd also be able to drop the ATF without having to remove the pan each time (in between yearly internal filter changes), if you get stream water in the trans.

NO it's not normal, but the remote filter will help. So will spending a few bucks and changing ALL the ATF asap. You don't want water trying to do the work of ATF in your $2500 transmission !

Sixlitre

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i can drop the pan, and drain the tourqe converter, then fill the tranny back up, run it through the gears, and the torque converter will fill itself back up? im wanting to make sure, cause i cant pull the tourqe converter and fill it up.

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright. i was scared if i drained it, it wouldnt pump itself back up, and i would be screwed. im gonna do this, again, tommorow. thanks bud

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
JB said:
alright. i was scared if i drained it, it wouldnt pump itself back up, and i would be screwed. im gonna do this, again, tommorow. thanks bud
Good idea

Gotta protect the single most expensive component in your truck

Sixlitre

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
:thumbup

also, check at local trans shops for a cleaner for your trans cooler and lines
forgot the name of product..:banghead

help me remember the name someone

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i ran seafoam threw it about 3k ago. this resulted in a clogged filter, which i didnt know of. next thing i know my truck stopped shifting, truck cut off, and my trans puked everywhere. had to get it home, cause i parked at a buddys house. then i changed the filter, and fluid (just the pan, scared to drain the TC). its been fine since, besides the VSS screwing up once. i wanna change all the fluid tommorow, including the TC. i hope it pumps itself back up, kinda scared about it.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,568 Posts
I can't remember the full name, but it's Dr. Something-or-other, put out by Lubegard. BTW, I'd like to offer an additional step on refilling a Ford trans if you drain the TC. The case capacity is not five quarts. The case plus all internals is. So what I do is I put in three quarts, disable the ignition, and crank the engine for ten seconds, then put in two more, hook the ignition back up, and start it. Add one more quart after startup, then go through the
gears. Make sure you spend five seconds in neutral to ensure the cooler fills up, as the pump does very little pumping in park. Now, start checking the fluid level, and only add one pint (two pints to a quart) between dipping so as not to overfill. Good luck!:deal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts