Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I want to know if I should change the transmission fluid and filter in my truck. It has 111,xxx miles on it and I don't know if the previous owner had ever changed it before. It's an E4OD by the way.

·
Lick my balls
13,047 Posts
when in doubt....yes

·
green ones make me horny
11,156 Posts
it is considered cheap insurance, and while you are at it spend the extra 100 dollars and install a tranny cooler, and remote fitler.

shit i am starting to sound like sixlitre now

·
Lick my balls
13,047 Posts
then don't change it, it's your truck. :doh0715:

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
I would change it now and start saving for a rebuild (=$$$$). If the PO neglected the most expensive part on the truck, you got to wonder what else was not maintained.

·
green ones make me horny
11,156 Posts
BigNakedBronco said:
I've heard of folks changing their tranny fluid and the tranny blowing up. Is that not true?

Why do you come on here and ask a question, then when you get the answer you reply like this?

Is your tranny giving you any problems right now? if not flush it out and change the filter and fluid. Replacing the tranny fluid will not cause your tranny to blow up, thats like saying i changed my oil and it caused to engine to blow. the only way it will hurt is if you are having problems with it already.

ken

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,203 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
Why do you come on here and ask a question, then when you get the answer you reply like this?

Is your tranny giving you any problems right now? if not flush it out and change the filter and fluid. Replacing the tranny fluid will not cause your tranny to blow up, thats like saying i changed my oil and it caused to engine to blow. the only way it will hurt is if you are having problems with it already.

ken

if that was true, a girl from work's truck woulda exploded the second i put fresh oil in the engine, it hadn't been changed in 32,xxxx/almost 3 years. :shocked

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
I'd get it flushed and get a filter change probably wont hurt anything

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
it is considered cheap insurance, and while you are at it spend the extra 100 dollars and install a tranny cooler, and remote fitler.

shit i am starting to sound like sixlitre now
By all means PLEASE carry the torch for me, I'm getting carpel trying to save all these transmissions !

If BigNakedBronco is worried about the minivan syndrom happening to his trans then he should;

drop the fluid(install a drain bolt while he's there)

change the internal filter and fluid

add a remote filter and a mondo-large external trans cooler

change the remote filter in one week, then each month for three then everytime he changes his engine's oil filter.

Just prime the filter each time with ATF and top up the fluid if required.

I'd be a bit worried about a trans flush in case it did dislodge some crap and send it into the valve body. After a year of filtration, from the new remote filter, and another internal filter change, then, maybe attempt a trans flush on a machine. Truth is, by then his fluid should be pristine by then anyway.

Read all about the trans life increasing mods near the bottom here;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17326#content

Sixlitre

1 - 12 of 12 Posts