Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok.. so I took my bronco in for a tranny flush and filter change - I was short on time. Its a 94 5.8 xlt..
The guy comes out and asks me do I wanna have the tranny serviced and gives me the price.. I refused the offer because I didnt have the funds at the time. I then comes back to me about 5 minutes later and asks me to come into the shop. They show me the oil filter (the plastic box - he opened it up like a book). and the filter has all these huge scary filings in there... but - the tranny runs great except for the odd burp once in a while in a kickdown... (it shifts one gear higher than it should). Anyway.. I told them I would just have to live with the filter change because of the funds ( they seemed to think I would suddenly be able to magic the money up from somewhere).
Their response was "well, it wont last long like that.. if at all now after the oil change". Since then we've driven up two different mountains locally and done a great big road trip with 5 people and bikes and luggage to Whistler... and its still good..
Does anyone think they are after my wallet or should I really be concerned about this.. the filings were like someone had taken a small cheese grater to it.)

:wtf

·
Registered
159 Posts
i used to do trans fluid and filter changes and usually if the customer had over 125,000 and did't know the last time they had one we would not do it. there is a possibility the trans will either not move afterward ( which i have witnessed) or the trans would go out not to long after (i have also witnessed). also if they had any shifting problems, didn't matter on mileage we would not do it. good luck.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following you. How does shavings in the oil filter have anything to do with the trans? If you meant the transmission filter(with filings in it), then they already serviced the trans... you have to drain it and drop the pan in order to get the filter out. And if it was that dirty the last thing you want to do is have it flushed. All those filings would be flushed throughout your tranny...not a good thing! If it was your tranny that had all the filings in it, I'd advise you to go ahead and change it (filter and fluid) again after a 100 miles or so, and be sure to drain the TC also. If you still find shavings or anything for that matter, do it again in another couple hundred. It's not expensive if you do it yourself, just a little messy. And might better start considering what to do if/when your tranny does go:thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Sounds like you filter was doing its job. Also sounds like you should start saving for a trans based on the fact that you are having some shift issues and larger than normal particulate. If you havent already, ad an external trans filter and a large cooler.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Sounds like they were setting you up to me. Maybe sprinkling some metal shavings on your filter.

I never heard of any mechanics going to the trouble of cutting open the filter.

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
Napa has a filter kit with gaskets for around $10.00 and 6 qts of fluid just for then tranny alone is about $20.00 so you're looking at $30.00 plus tax to do it yourself for now.

My AOD went out 1 year after I bought the BKO but it was leaking tranny fluid a lot and eventually it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear so I had it rebuilt by a guy from my gun club 3 years ago for $1,300.00 and it's been flawless since but he sold the shop and they're out of business.

I recently put in a new 302 and I inadvertantly pulled out the dipstick tube like an idiot and it pissed fluid all over the floor and now it's bleeding from the base of the DS/Tube PITA so with 3 years and about 9k on the tranny I'm going to do it myself hopefully this week.

I made some calls to have the service done locally and the the price range was any where from $120.00 to $200.00...............................yipes!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Sounds like they were setting you up to me. Maybe sprinkling some metal shavings on your filter.

I never heard of any mechanics going to the trouble of cutting open the filter.
Word.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Napa has a filter kit with gaskets for around $10.00 and 6 qts of fluid just for then tranny alone is about $20.00 so you're looking at $30.00 plus tax to do it yourself for now.
perhaps for your AOD. Napa and E4OD = $50 or so not including full drain (of torque convertor).

filter/gasket kit $30 or so
7 or so quarts $20

but, I'd do this myself anytime vs. bringing it to a shop. And a flush, what fer?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts