Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie B with 5.8 351w with a C6 transmission.

My transmission will hard shift some times while other times it will shift as smooth as a new car. Also some of the time it hard shifts the rpms go high before it slams into gear. This is not always the issue mainly just hard shifting.

My mechanic told me to just drive it till it dies then have it rebuilt. I wanted to get some second opinions on the subject. Family and friends keep telling me to change the filter drain the tranny fluid and replace it. While I know having it flushed can make the transmission worse, I have not heard many people speak about just draining and changing the filter. When I pull the dip stick the tranny fluid is not burnt and there is no grit in it, the fluid is also red.

There is not a lift on the truck and the tires are factory size with factory rims.

Please give any info, I have search forms for info for the past hour and found how to do it many times, but not if you should do it while already having transmission problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one with the problem. The same exact problem happens to me and last night my brothers buddy whos a mechanic was telling me that it might be the clutch going bad or a problem with one of the gears. He also said it could be that it needs a rebuilt tranny or to throw one in from one of the junkyards he goes to for like 500. The mechanic he works for is a Ford whiz and im bringin her up there in about a week or so, so I'll let ya know what he says if no one else has a response already!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I am just trying to decided what to do with her. I would appreciate any help you can give me thank you. :smiley:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this ended up being my vacuum modulator. The vacuum hose attached to it was sucking transmission fluid straight through it replaced modulator transmission shifts great now. Does seem to go bad frequently since this time I’ve had to replace twice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts