Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change my transmission fluid and filter for the first time since owning this truck (96 w/ E4OD). I've read much about it and I think I'm prepared -- I have the new replacement Ford pan w/ drain plug, Ford filter, aftermarket filter clip, and a new reusable Ford pan gasket.

I'm looking for some backup before I tackle this.

From what I understand, some E4ODs have different pans than others -- some have dimpled rails and some have flat rails and therefore they need different gaskets. I believe all 96's like mine have flat rails originally.

The replacement pan I got is the newer replacement style and has flat rails (F81Z-7A194-BA). The replacement gasket is the reusable hard rubber/plastic type one (F6TZ-7A191-A).

Is this right?

(sorry for bad pics)

Thanks!

Adam

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
you said "after market filter clip", but the rest of it (filter and gasket) was from ford.

Did the clip not come with the filter/gasket kit from ford? Where did you get the clip separately from?

(I'm asking because I have never changed an e4od's fluid before)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds correct. I wish i was still at work I could double check it for you...
Thanks. Can you tell from the pics if it looks right to you. I plan to use synthetic and don't want it to all leak out.:doh0715:

Need4racin said:
you said "after market filter clip", but the rest of it (filter and gasket) was from ford.

Did the clip not come with the filter/gasket kit from ford? Where did you get the clip separately from?

(I'm asking because I have never changed an e4od's fluid before)
It's an aftermarket piece that is not originally installed from Ford. The filter is originally a friction fit into the tranny. There are some reported cases where the filter slips out and causes problems in the tranny. This is basically a little sheetmetal piece bent to hold the filter up in place. You remove a bolt from the valvebody and bolt the clip in with the same bolt.

Mine came from PATC and was $2.00 plus shipping. It seems like cheap insurance.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/e4od.htm

It's about 3/4 of the way down the page. "#76C. E4OD/4R100 Stay Put Filter Clip."

Also, I bought my filter and gasket seperately. I wanted to use the reusable gasket and not being sure which one is on now or if it's in good shape, I purchased one. VERY expensive from Ford, but I like the idea of this type of gasket, and it's what's called for my truck. The filter I just like to use Ford OEM filters.

Adam

·
Registered
236 Posts
You've got it right, I just did the exact same thing a few months ago to my 96. That pan fits like a glove. I reused the gasket that was already there and it hasn't leaked a drop. If your truck has the reusable gasket, it will say on the pan, your tranny will have the flat rails. That filter clip works like a champ, no way that filter is going to budge after you put it on. You going to drain the converter also? You'll use one heck of alot of fluid, make sure you have enough on hand.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I did plan to drain the converter.

Will be an expensive little project, but should work out well since I seem prepared.

Adam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts