Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem where it feels like the transmission is literally slamming into gear and making the whole truck jump forward. I have tried to get a diagnostics test my my comp is locked up. I work at goodyear as a general service maintance. The tech there tried to help me out but no luck because the comp is locked up. i was looking for suggestions before i go to the dealer and spend hundreds to find out what is wrong.:whiteflag

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 1994 F150 with a 302 and an E40D. I replaced the throttle positioning sensor the last time it did this and the problem seemed to go away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
speedometer is broke. My girlfriend broke the end of the shifter off where the OD was and now nothing on the dash works

·
Broncoless
1,495 Posts
im not too familiar with the e4od myself but i do know that if the vss in the rearend goes bad that it will cause it to shift irratically and hard like that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
im not too familiar with the e4od myself but i do know that if the vss in the rearend goes bad that it will cause it to shift irratically and hard like that.
This just happened to me yesterday while driving 30 on the freeway (in traffic). My speedo went out (needle maxed out past 80mph), and my odometer went out as well (no reading on the screen).

I have a 1995 Bronco, with the 302 and I *think* an E4OD.

What's a vss and how screwed am I?

ANY help is appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i think i narrowed down the Problem and i believe you are right about the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). My buddy at ford said that if the VSS fails you will have harsh shifting, engine braking, and trouble getting into 4th if it shifts into it at all. It could also be the Throttle positioning sensor which again will cause thr transmission to jump in gear. I wanted to know if the sensor on the top of the rear axle on the 8.8 rear end would have to do with the shift problem. I removed the 8.8 and replaced it with a 9in rear out of a 79 bronco where i got my solid front axle from. The 9in did not have the sensor and i was told it only controled my ABS so i removed the sensor tied off the harness and taped it up to make sure mud did not get in it. Your help is much apreciated thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i unplugged my mass air flow sensor and now my acceleration is back but i am still shifting harshly. I may have gotten a faulty TPS so i am going to return mine and see if this will fix the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O i forgot to ask. On the PSOM i wanted to know if i could program out the RABS only becuase the 9in rear i have does not have it. I wanted to know if this is possible and any ideas on the cost or who could do it, Ford Dealership? Thanks again for your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts