Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '96 with the E40D transmission. I am not sure if this is a tranny problem or what, but was just seeking some help. After it shifts into about 3rd i believe i can feel it, it feels like if you drive a stick, and upshift too early and the engine strains and kind of rocks back in forth, like front to back. Almost a slight jerking motion. It only happens at slow acceleration, not when im driving at idle, or at a hard acceleration. Im gonna try and change the filter and fluid this weekend and see if that makes a difference, but when I checked it out earlier it was nice and bright red. If anyone else has had this problem or if ya'll know of what it might be any input would be great. Thanks.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
14,918 Posts
What size tires are you running and what gear ratio? If you have larger tires, stock gear ratio that might be contribute to the condition you're describing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's definitely in 3rd and OD, I switched the OD off to see if it would make a difference but there's no change.

It's on 33's with the stock 3.55s. I've had it lifted for 3 years now with no problem.

Anything?

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
hey guys
i was lookin at helping out scott with doin some work on his tranny, but i dont have the tools and i think there is a crossmember right in the middle of the tranny pan right? i think the first step is for him to get the fluid and filter changed and look for evidence of metal shavings on the magnet and pan right? im just tryin to help him out!

wes

·
Registered
748 Posts
wes 03 said:
hey guys
i was lookin at helping out scott with doin some work on his tranny, but i dont have the tools and i think there is a crossmember right in the middle of the tranny pan right?
It's behind the pan...even the skid plate won't be in the way. What it sounds like to me is your tranny is "Slipping" if it's what you're decribing a jerking of sorts. If your tranny fluid hasn't been changed in a while then this would be a good place to start. If this doesn't help then you know you have a more serious problem.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i had a c6 doing the same thing. it turned out that i had a vacuum line problem. check all your vacuum lines not just the one coming off the tranny.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
ok, we checked it out this morning. tranny fluid is nice and red with no evidence of metal on the dipstick. went underneath and checked the transfer case fluid and it was good. checked the yokes, the rear was loose and we tightened that up. there is no evidence of vacuum or electrical lines loose on the tranny and the only real problem we saw was the rear main leaking, but he knew about that. the main jerking feel and a little hint of a grinding noise is in 3rd and OD, so im thinkin its the cluth packs in those two gears, is that right? hes taking it in thursday to have the fluid and filter changed. the last hting done to the tranny was a year and a half and 22000 miles ago where they flushed it which if i remember correctly only means they sucked the old fluid out and put new fluid in. please enlighten us if there is something we are overlooking!

wes

·
Registered
463 Posts
Check all your vacuum lines. Not just the one coming off the tranny. The one that comes out of the TB was the loose one on my system and causing the problem.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
from what i saw while looking at the engine, all of them were conected and in good condition. he is going to have a guy look at the tranny and pull the pan and filter and see the condition of it. due to neither of us having the tools and resources to do it ourselves he is taking it to a good mechanic. any other ideas?

wes

·
Registered
463 Posts
nope before i found the vacuum line, i was told to check the power bands on it. there are 2 of them and it sounded easy and chiltons explaines it well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got it into the shop this morning, the vacuum lines are fine. It turns out my rear axle is shot. He said the bearing came loose which caused the pinion to become off balanced. This shreaded the gears totally, this was probably the grinding sound we heard. So it's going to have to be rebuilt again, and as I dont have time to do it myself, Im just gonna allow my mechanic to do it. Luckily my dad's going to spot me for it and Ill pay him back later. Which means i still have the money I've been saving for a bigger lift and 35's. hehe:thumbup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts