Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i tell where the linkage should be? like i dont know what position they should be in. tranny just acts like its in neutral

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did yours fall off? sounds like an internal issue.
well it was working, forward and reverse worked fine and then a couple of hours later i tried again and it just rolled like it was in neutral, i drained it and changed the filter, someone told me to check the linkage, i dont get why it would just stop working like it did and when i had the engine out we moved the tranny alot, jacking it up and such. i think i may have knocked it loose when i started the new engine, it shook a awful lot .

·
Registered
55 Posts
well i would just reajust it manualy, disconect the linkage shift it from underneath all the way down to one. then shif it down on the colum the underneath adjust and reconect to the apropiat position.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
confirmed linkage is fine.. fluid is refilled and its not coming out of the hose i disconnected. if my pump is bad, where is it? and if my torque converter isnt seated properly then how can i correct this problem?? or for that matter how can even tell?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I can't tell you how to seat a torque converter on that transmission, it's probably very similar to my 4r100 but I don't want to give you bad info. Your pump is in the front of your transmission, you will have to use a slide hammer to get it out, it's not bad and with my 4r100 the cheap advance auto parts "bondo" brand dent puller threaded right up in it where as my expensive slide hammer wouldn't have worked without some welding.

I can check my book and see what it says, but you should be aware that it is not the same transmission.

try reseating the torque converter (if we can figure out how) but it's sounding worse and worse for your poor transmission man.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well sackman9975 is explaining it to me, i think i might have the AOD but i have no idea

·
Registered
710 Posts
good, he's intelligent!!! The e40d is like my 4r100, I don't know anything specific about the AOD tranny.

good luck man

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"The proper way to make sure the converter is seated properly is that the converter HAS to be pulled into the flexplate once tranny is bolted up. If it's not done this way, you risk damaging the converter and the pump."
- Sackman9975

this is what he told me before i asked him how to do it. i dont know what the flexplate is, but i know i didnt do this step. goober do you know what he is talking bout?

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
the flex plate is mounted to the back of the motor, its the big round thing with all kinds of teeth...some people mistake it for a fly wheel (that would be a manual trans) did you take your trans out?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no but i put a newish engine in, i used the block from a 89' Grand Marquis, but the flexplate and all the other parts from my broncos blown engine. but i apparently didnt seat the converter right. im not sure how, even after sackman told me, so im going to get a tranny mechanic that i trust to come out and do it off work and ill pay him directly

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,058 Posts
The AOD flexplate (which is from the grand marquis) is different than the E4OD flexplate.

Did you swap these before the install?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts