Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few months ago my tranny went up, i was at a store, backed up to leave then put it into gear and engine rpms raced up but the car didnt move. Managed to crawl it home by matching the speed to the rpms.. Basiclly i had to make suer i didnt over rev, meaning i was going at like 10-15mph. Got it home checked the fuild level, which was good. Tried to drive it around again nothing..... would go in reverse and back up but when put in drive all the engine did was rev up and not move at all now. So being the day before i was to go back to college left it in the yard and said hell with the trannys probly fried.

Flash forward to today, my brother asked wahts was wrong cuz he needed to use it to move his jetski, told him what was wrong but to go check it. He says it moves in drive now and was driving it around. But he said it still over reves it u give it to much gas, like the speed cant keep up with the revs. My question is what the hell is wrong with it. This my first problem with a automatic all my cars were 5spds. Is the tranny bad? Should i change the filter and fluid? Is the torque converted the problem?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,918 Posts
i would start by changing the fluid and filter. if it continues take it to a shop. what tranny do you have c6 or aod?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
c6, ill try changing the filter and fluid. Shops out of the questions im just not going to dump anymore money into a gas suckingbeast. Plus i just dont have the money

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,918 Posts
check the vacum modulator as well. make sure all the vacum lines are connected.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Sounds like a fluid pressure problem if all gears stopped working properly at once. This usually means a front pump or the related fluid circuits are leaking and/or not pumping correctly. My first thought was that your clutches were slipping, but that'd be really really odd to have them all go at once like that. If the converter failed, you'd know it. You're fortunate enough to not have a locking converter that's more prone to failures.

Sure your cooler isn't clogged?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts