Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tranny questions**edited w/ New ???'S

I'm gonning to look at a used t-18 4spd tommarrow and since I'm in no way a tranny guru, I was wondering what to look for to make sure it's a good tranny..

The tranny is out of the vehicle and has been out for awhile.
He has several and says he's pretty sure one of'em is the 4x4 model(all fords though) He says the only difference in them is that the 4x4 model has a shorter tailshaft, and that a 2x4 will work if I "trim" the shaft with a sawsall......That part sounds pretty jacked up to me. I've got the bellhousing and tcase adapter already on my truck so I don't need those. Just curious how to check it without having to really strip it down...Thanks---Fog

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks anyways man.....Just don't wanna get screwed and buy one w/ the same problems I already got..........Fog

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
Fog I am by no means a trans guy I have a NP435 which from what I have read/heard are the same as the T18/T19 (I think) there is a guy that did a great tech article on rebuilding a NP435.

Here is the link. I also don't think it cost all that much to do it either. So if you get one and it's wore or needs work you can do it yourself.

Just trying to help out! Good luck!

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool man thanks....Maybe I outta just lok into doing that instead..........Fog

**Edit** From reading that site, It sounds like my problem is just in the forks and maybe I just need to replace the teflon guides in there........... Fog

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I decide to try it, I'll take some pics for ya......Fog

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I took the truck to a shop to get a second opinion on the problems i'm having and found out that the tranny is good, I've got problems in my clutch. Of course the shop wants 1100 to repair/replace the clutch so that ain't happening, _fog

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just guessing but most of that has to be labor.........He charged me 53.00 bucks to replace the slave cylinder and it shifts pretty good now, just gonna have to replace the clutch when I get time......At least it's not the whole tranny........Fog

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
But is yours the E4OD or a Manual (T18)? If it's a manual and you were looking for a another manual cause you thought yours was screwed up it shouldn't be that hard to do clutch work. I had to find a bellhousing, clutch, etc, etc to mate the NP435 up to the 351M. There's nothing to doing the clucth work. I did all that for the swap and it was my first time doing any kind of clutch work.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, no it's a t18a to be exact.....He tracked down the casting numbers. That was his total estimate to just replace the clutch on the clock. He did the slave off the clock as a favor. I will be doing the clutch myself. I've done several 2wd's before, only thing different is the tcase has gotta be moved w/the tranny.....Just gotta figure out what clutch to use and if I wanna wait till after I get the motor I'm wanting...fog...

His shops labor rate is 120hr!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool site---Thanks man---Fog

1 - 16 of 16 Posts