Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone could give me any info on a 5spd to auto tranny swap. I have a 88 302 and was wondering which auto trannys would fit. Also what all do I need? Do I need new comp, driveshaft? Please let me know.

Finally I would like to eventually wasp in a 351 do the 302 and the 351 have the same bell housing bolt pattern? are the trannys interchangeable? please let me know,

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Yes, same bellhousing pattern from 302 to 351W

Your best bet is a C6, it should bolt up without much trouble. You'll want to run cooler lines up front, and I'd guess driveshaft mods will be required. Linkages, etc; might be easier to get an aftermarket cable shifter.

No EEC mods should be required.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,797 Posts
An AOD will also work if your wanting a tranny with Overdrive.

later

B

·
0 Posts
Why swap in an auto????? I swapped-in the ZF 5 speed which is medium duty has a low 5.29:1 granny and has overdrive. I got it from a late 80's F250 diesel (has the lower granny ratio vs gas engine). It bolted right up! I had problems with the mazda sincro's going out when I beefed my motor. The mazda tranny is the same light duty they put in the ranger and explorer, wimpy. I've had a bronc with a C6 nice bullet proof tranny but, no granny for crawling, no overdrive, very little engine braking when wheeling. I prefer the 5 speed. I have an extra that needs work. A tranny guy said he could fix it for about $500. They go for about $800 at a junk yard and that was autozones core charge. They are not cheap but I likey alot.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Blown said:
Why swap in an auto?????
'Cause they're cool, they crawl better and have virtually infinite variable ratio due to torque converter! And by "they" I mean the C6. The E4OD is problematic at best.

Let the auto vs manual war begin!:goodfinge

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I prefer auto over manual.

So if I go with a C6 what are some good donor vehicles? If I go with an aod from another bronco I can use it's driveshafts but they are weak? Anyone have any swap write ups or complete parts lists? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts