Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I have searched the archives for related threads and still have to ask this question. Unless I just missed the answer, please bear with me.

I have an '88 w/AOD and 1356 Electric w/manual Warn hubs.

I used 4L to pull a horse trailer out of the mud and when done, switched everything back to 2H. All lights went out and I went on my way...barely!

I was turning almost 3k RPM @ 30 MPH. Wouldn't you say it was still in 4L?

I removed the T/C motor and the indicator was pointing at 2H. I cycled the motor (with it detached) and it does operate. I was able to turn the indicator so I wouldn't think it's frozen up, but I do think something is wrong internally.

Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Sounds like the shift fork bent or broke off.

Assuming your AOD is changing gears right? 1st gear in 2HI would leave you at 30mph/3k...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After screwing around with this thing for the past couple of days, here is a piece of info; the front driveshaft turns freely by hand. So now what?:banghead

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Is your transmission shifting out of first gear?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bronco4Life, you were right-on!

I now know that it's definately the T-Case. I drained the fluid and can see "chunks" in the bottom of the case, too big to come through the drain hole. It looks like the end of one of the forks.

Now I have to decide to just replace it or repair it.

What would you do? Can you even buy individual hard parts like the forks?

flowmaster, pm the details please. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Bronco4Life, you were right-on!

I now know that it's definately the T-Case. I drained the fluid and can see "chunks" in the bottom of the case, too big to come through the drain hole. It looks like the end of one of the forks.

Now I have to decide to just replace it or repair it.

What would you do? Can you even buy individual hard parts like the forks?

flowmaster, pm the details please. Thanks.
Check out Shadofax's bw1356 writeup in the tech thread... been a little while since I've read it, but IIRC, it's got part numbers and such in it. He's usually pretty good about being detailed like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts