Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of trying to locate front and rear axles for My project ride (the '94) and was wondering, Did Ford change the transfer case in the f350's?? I'm looking for a '92 or newer f350 and wasn't sure if the case was any better than mine?? Thanks for the help...

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,834 Posts
If it has the BW1345, yes its a better case. Also, it is a direct swap for the 1356.
Its a heavier-duty unit, with a slightly lower Low Range (2.72 as opposed to 2.69) than the 1356. Also, it has a built-in oil pump.
:thumbup

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
I would have to run out to my garage and grab my manual but I BELIEVE you guys are telling him to get a Ranger/Bronk II case which is not better then a 1356

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
never mind a Bronk II case is a 1354...

im dis....lik..

·
OMG IT RUNS
528 Posts
Will it bolt right up?

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
blaze are you going with coils or leafs?

scrap the BW cases and get an atlas II!!

wes

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wes 03 said:
blaze are you going with coils or leafs?

scrap the BW cases and get an atlas II!!

wes
Leafs!:thumbup
Like Crazed said thats pretty expensive..not sure I can justufy it...:shrug

·
Registered
‘95 xl, 5.8l, ZF S5-47, BW1356, SAS, D44(8lug), Sterling 10.25 (Detroit)
269 Posts
reptillikus said:
If it has the BW1345, yes its a better case. Also, it is a direct swap for the 1356.
Its a heavier-duty unit, with a slightly lower Low Range (2.72 as opposed to 2.69) than the 1356. Also, it has a built-in oil pump.
:thumbup
What in the hell are you talking about?
Have you ever opened up a 1356?
If you have, then you'd know that at around 100,00 miles, a common thing to check for is wear in the groove which retains the OIL PUMP.

The 1356 replaced the 1345 in Broncos,F150-350's around 1987.
A 92-97 F350 has a 1356. (And after that they went to the NP 273 I believe.)
The 1356 has a stronger magnesium case than the 1345's aluminum.
And 2.72 compared to 2.69, big deal. .03?
Let some air out of your tires, see how much reduction that gives you.

-matt

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,834 Posts
Eh, ive heard of too many 1356's eating through the case near the pump.
Yeah, that was sort of a typo in my first post, but i heard the pump in the 1345 is alot more reliable and less prone to wear than the 1356.
Also, i have never seen/heard of a bronco with a 1345, only the 250/350s. I know some places state they came with 'em, but i havent been able to find any physical proof to back that up. (IE, never actually seen/heard of a bronco with one from the factory)

·
Registered
‘95 xl, 5.8l, ZF S5-47, BW1356, SAS, D44(8lug), Sterling 10.25 (Detroit)
269 Posts
reptillikus said:
Eh, ive heard of too many 1356's eating through the case near the pump.
Yeah, that was sort of a typo in my first post, but i heard the pump in the 1345 is alot more reliable and less prone to wear than the 1356.
Also, i have never seen/heard of a bronco with a 1345, only the 250/350s. I know some places state they came with 'em, but i havent been able to find any physical proof to back that up. (IE, never actually seen/heard of a bronco with one from the factory)

Yeah and the softer aluminum in a 1345 is more durable?

http://www.drivetrain.com/transfercasesparts.html#Borg-Warner 1345

Go order a oil pump kit for a 1345 and then one for a 1356.
They're both #k201900. Same for all BW cases.

BTW, here's a truck that switched from a 1345 to 1356 I found after a quick search.
http://projectresponder.com/content.asp?cid=3&pid=12

I really am not interested in argueing or debating. I don't care what you think or heard. I don't mean to offend, but if I do, oh well. It's not intended that way. It's just that you're offering an opinion as factual info, to somebody who may actually take your incorrect advice. It'd be better to just not answer if you're only speculating. BTW, like you, I haven't seen a bronco with a 1345 eighther, so maybe I should have not typed that earlier. :)
Take care.
sincerely,
-matt

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
J A F O said:
I don't mean to offend, but if I do, oh well. It's not intended that way. It's just that you're offering an opinion as factual info, to somebody who may actually take your incorrect advice. It'd be better to just not answer if you're only speculating. BTW, like you, I haven't seen a bronco with a 1345 eighther, so maybe I should have not typed that earlier. :)
Take care.
sincerely,
-matt [/B]

um, you are kinda offending me. must be that jarhead mentality:brownbag

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:lolup You guys crack me up...It is true to be carefull posting something that your "pretty sure" about. I have many many many times not posted what I thought to be true just because I wasn't 100%, bet my mothers retirement money, sure. JAFO is right someone may make a VERY costly mistake...As for my self as long as I can weed through the posts and get the info I need, ya'll debate on...:thumbup

Hey Plug, you're running leafs, right?? What did you do about the "crumple zone"?? sorry to ask a question I can prolly find on your SFO site, I'm running dialup and it's hella slow to research SFO.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts