Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
So i got the cooler/remote filter kits etc, and attempted to install them over the weekend.

I made a bracket to mount my trans filter using some existing holes in the frame and that worked out great. Then it came time to actually disconnect my transmission lines. I planned on running the filter before it went into the radiator, then from teh radiator to the cooler and back to the trans.

I could not get the line fitting to budge from the radiator. I was trying to remove the 1/2 inch fitting that is on the line from the coupler that ison the radiator. I PBlaster-ed it, and i was using a line wrench, but the thing wont budge and is starting to strip.:banghead

Any suggestions? My thoughts are i can probably remove the larger coupler from the radiator (it got dark out so i couldnt try, and then its been rainy since) and i guess put another fitting on there so i can put the hose on it. etc. Or take it to a trans shop, have them remove it and put another fiting on the line (cut the line, but new fittings, reflare the ends etc).

Your input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Easiest and quickest is just to cut it. Find a spot with some clearance for hoses and clamps, and cut the line.

Mine came out surprisingly (disturbingly?) easily, considering I'm in Michigan.

You are turning it the right way, right? Tried the blue wrench yet?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sewiv said:
Easiest and quickest is just to cut it. Find a spot with some clearance for hoses and clamps, and cut the line.

Mine came out surprisingly (disturbingly?) easily, considering I'm in Michigan.

You are turning it the right way, right? Tried the blue wrench yet?
yes i'm turning it the right way! some of the threads were showing and it did not appear to be reverse threaded.

And can i be dumb for a moment..whats the blue wrench? if you mean torch, no i didnt, and mines red!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Yeah, the blue wrench is a propane torch, which has a blue flame.

I was kind of joking with that, because setting your truck on fire (ATF is flammable, if you get it hot enough, I believe (for certain values of "hot enough", that applies to everything, I suppose)) would be bad.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sewiv said:
Yeah, the blue wrench is a propane torch, which has a blue flame.

I was kind of joking with that, because setting your truck on fire (ATF is flammable, if you get it hot enough, I believe (for certain values of "hot enough", that applies to everything, I suppose)) would be bad.
Yeah i didnt think it was a good idea to torch the trans line. i might just go ahead and cut the line. would there be a problem with just clamping hose onto the line (pressure wise)?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I think you will be just fine with some hose that is rated for use with ATF.....there is not all that much pressure in the line and I think you will be just fine with a hose clamp.
On the other hand it is very easy to just buy a flaring tool and some fittings....you can get the barbed fitting for the hose to slip over and just about everything else you need in the local Home Depot.

FWIW.....I would not give up so easy on the fitting in the rad. Take a good look at it in goo light and keep on it till it comes out....dont let it get the best of you.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
That's what I did, I haven't had a problem with it. I'm pretty sure sixlitre did the same.

My cooler specifically said to do that, but *NOT* to double clamp it. I don't know why not, but I didn't do it.

Remember to use a tubing cutter, not tin snips or anything that will crimp it shut.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sewiv said:
That's what I did, I haven't had a problem with it. I'm pretty sure sixlitre did the same.

My cooler specifically said to do that, but *NOT* to double clamp it. I don't know why not, but I didn't do it.

Remember to use a tubing cutter, not tin snips or anything that will crimp it shut.
roger on the tube cutter... what i was planning on using if i had to cut them. I might try to go the fitting route. I am one of the lucky few with a harbor freight near by, so i should be able to get the stuff pretty cheap. If i can get the coupler off the radiator, and just put fitings on it that way, it'd be nice.

I wonder why you shouldnt double clamp?

After thinking more i may just stay withthe cut/hose route...seems easiest.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I did run the hose on something like 4-6 inches, and clamp in the middle of that, so it's got a ways to slide before it pops off.

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but the kit I got screams in bold letters that it "THERE IS ONLY ONE CORRECT WAY TO ATTACH THIS FILTER!", so I want to be sure.
They show the filter installed on the "hot" or "supply" line before it goes to the radiator. One thing that worries me about the diagram is that they show the supply line coming from the front of the tranny, which is never the case (I don't think). Also, on most installs I've seen, the filter is attached either to the line between the radiator and the tranny cooler, on the cold or return line (after the fluid has gone through the cooler).

Soooooooo, which line do I cut?

BTW, I have searched and read at least fifteen threads on this, but I haven't slept much lately, so I'm a little loopy right now.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I plumbed my cooler AFTER the original cooler, and the filter after both coolers. On an E4OD, the bottom line on the radiator is the cold line.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
"THERE IS ONLY ONE CORRECT WAY TO ATTACH THIS FILTER!",
What they are talking about is the in/out on the filter. You must make sure you have the direction of flow correct. If not, a filter with an anti drain back valve will block the flow.

The order you have the components in does not matter.

I went with the following.
Tranny/Radiator/external cooler/external filter/tranny

I only had to cut out a section of the return line (bottom of the radiator) to acomplish the install.

I flared the lines and then tripple clamped them.

Here are the pics of my install.
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/4103/55092

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
Awesome! I was hoping I could do that because the PO already cut the return line and patched it with a hose. Half my work is already done!

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
I plumbed my cooler AFTER the original cooler, and the filter after both coolers. On an E4OD, the bottom line on the radiator is the cold line.
Basically what he is saying is the bottom line is your return line. if you hook it up according tot he directions you will want to plumb it in reight before the top line of the radiator.

With that said i got a question. if i run the filter to the front of the grill and cut the line right where the line runs under the radiator will it have a problem getting to the filter? is there enough pressure in the line to make it up that far?

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
On my AOD there is a rubber hose in the passenger front, if you have the factory supercool and or tow package. I just removed that hose and slide the return to transmission hose that was going in the direction of the transmission and put the in line on the other side that looked to be coming from the cooler.

Is that the right direction?- I'd hate to be driving around and have no flow since i got it flowing backwards.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
N4R the filter hosuing says in and oput on it.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Yea i dont know if i put the in on the in or the in on the out.
If it was backwords the tranny probably wouldn't shift properly.
If it did, it still probably cut tranny life dramatically.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts